Extremely Hard To Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Extremely Hard To Start

Ok, I have a 2004 F-350 6.0L. I just bought this truck like 2 months ago, this is my first diesel, so I am learning all kinds of new stuff. But, I am a little stumped right now. This just started happening a couple of weeks ago. If the block is not already warm from the heater being plugged in, my truck basically will not start at all, I might get lucky before the batteries die, but its a slim chance. If the block heater has been plugged in, I have to cycle the glow plugs and crank on it like 15 times and feather the pedal to get it to catch, then rev it up to about 1800 RPM's for about 3 or 4 minutes until some heat is built up so that it will idle. Also when i am reving it dumps black smoke and spits and sputters until it finially idles. Then after that it runs great, it has power and everything. If I go into the store or something and come out an hour later, it fires right up, because there is still heat in the motor. If I wait any longer than 3 hours, I am right back at square one and its very hard to start again.

So I am guessing it is the glow plugs not working and putting heat into the cylinders to make them fire. I cannot see all 8 glow plugs going out at the same time. So I think some how some way there is something telling the glow plugs not to work. Also when I cycle the plugs, the glow plug indicator light only stays on for 3 seconds, cold motor or not. I also bought an Actron Scanner tool and scanned it, no codes, no stored data to be read.

From other thread I have read I think its either the GPCM or the FICM, I am really just stumped on how to figure out what it really is, without just throwing parts at it. If anyone could help, it would greatly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also another question, where would the fusible links for the GPCM be located at?
Old 02-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its probably the ficm, and possibly bad injectors. Once the ficm starts to go, the injectors start failing

My ficm went bad, and I never got any codes
Old 02-26-2010, 03:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my question is though, if it were the FICM, then why would it run great when there is heat in the motor?
Old 02-26-2010, 04:25 AM

ok, when the engine oil temp is below like 60 degrees the ficm goes into a different statagy,,hence the name inductive heating that kills these ficms..Find you some one with a scanner,,,first off the truck must be cold, like first thing in the morning,,pull up the screen on the ficm voltage( do not start the truck but the key must be on) turn key off then right back on...if ficm voltage drops below 48 volts the ficm is bad...When the ficm starts to go cold starts are a pain in the butt, i bet yoursa runs great when it is warm right ?? if you want to call me at 706-244-4955..I will help you any way i can if you need to talk to someone about this..sometimes it is easier to tell someone something on the phone than it is to type....
Old 02-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What kind of scanner do you need to test the voltage on the FICM? My Actron autoscanner doesn't do that, it just reads codes and stored data events.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

There are a lot of threads where you can check the voltage of the FICM, one of them is here. Search around on here and you'll find a ton of information on how to test the FICM and how to fix it should it be one of the common issues. If you have an older 04 with an 03 engine, then you need to test the screw furthest from the fender in the group of 4. If you have a voltage problem, it would be well worth the effort to attempt the fix (or bring it to an electronics repair facility) and solder it up.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think I am gonna have to take it somewhere to get it looked at by a professional. I know I can take it to the dealer, but they are expensive. Does anyone know of a good shop in Central Indiana??
Old 03-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anybody else have any other ideas?
Old 03-02-2010, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

its like 40 degrees today and now i cant get it to start at all, I got the tow truck coming in the morning to take it to the dealer. I got a feeling its gonna be expensive!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.