DIY mechanic questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to jwindbigler
DIY mechanic questions

I am currently attending college for automotive tech (not diesel), and would really like to get an idea on how difficult the 6.0's are to work on. From what I can see I can see some clutter, but overall it looks pretty straight forward.

Also, I have heard the 6.0 have some problems that I should resolve before adding major power adders, and wanted your opinion

ARP studs
EGR Delete
Higher flow fuel nozzles

Anything else I should do before donig the tuner, intake...ect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
They can be a pain at times in my opinion, but no where near as cluttered at the 6.4's or 6.7's. Be prepared to curse a bit from switching from standard to metric. You do more fuel, I would recommend a FASS or ITP Regulated Return. Dusty's Diesel has one for sale I think. You have aftermarket exhaust? If not that should be first and foremost. Some will say air intake's don't matter cause the stockers can withstand 500-550hp and you could increase your flow simply by doing a Zoodad mod and save your money for something else.

Main question is, is the power for power, or is the power for purpose?

Last edited by mcflan; 02-24-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:34 PM

A FASS and ITP Regulated Return? Not 100% sure what that is.

The power is for power. I cant really leave anything I own alone. Its always nice to dust that honda sitting next to you in a 6000lb+ truck.

Not to mention that if I can get some extra MPG out of it I would be happy
Old 02-24-2010, 10:37 PM

Some more throttle response would be nice as well, as mine is lagging a bit.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Premium Member

Well if you want bigger injectors you need a better fuel system in the Regulated Return. You need to provide more fuel for the larger nozzles to get the best performance out of them. Since you have more fuel flowing to the nozzles, you need something to clean the fuel faster than want the stock system can handle in the FASS 150. If you're going bigger injectors, do you plan to go bigger turbo? All this stuff can add up REALLY quick.

Doesn't necessarily have to be FASS or ITP, there are others out there. Those were just the first two that came to mind.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:44 PM

I really dont want to mess with the fuel system if I dont have to. I just heard that the factory injectors were prone to failure. I have no plan to run a bigger turbo at the moment. Ideally I want a very efficient working diesel engine. Runs great, shifts smooth, gets good MPG, and has power in reserve for that freeway pass or that honda punk who thinks he's fast...lol
Old 02-24-2010, 10:51 PM
Premium Member

These trucks out the gate can beat most little Hondas. Whoever told you 6.0 injectors are prone to failure must not have explained themselves very well. 4 of mine have been replaced because the previous owner was evil, but the other 4 are original with 105k on them. The reason they fail is because people don't do proper maintenance. Diesel fuel has a lot of particulate matter and can gunk up and clog the nozzles over time. Just use some diesel fuel additive either other time to cycle the fuel out and you'll be fine. No need to get bigger injectors if a bigger turbo isn't in sight in my opinion. Also, what defines "Good MPG?" Hahaha, many have different views. I get about 12-14 in city and about 21 on highway.

If you want bigger injectors, you need more fuel supply. Studs are going to be expensive in themselves, even if you do it yourself and its a huge pain if you don't have a cab lift. If you pay someone to do it you're looking upwards of $2200-3000k in parts and labor
Old 02-24-2010, 10:57 PM

Ok, so just run fuel additive to clean the injectors, and they will be fine.

So now that thats out of the way, what is this about a cab lift? I cant get to all of the studs from inside the engine bay? I had heard about something like that, bud really didnt believe it when I saw that there was some room in the bay. From what I can see I can get to all of them. Then again, I have never taken one apart, so I will trust your input.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Premium Member

Just do some searching on here and 95% of what you ask will have been answered. Here is a detailed outline of what it takes to do heads without a cab lift:

DIY, In Cab HGs & ARPs
Old 02-24-2010, 11:39 PM

thanks. I appreciate the help. Ima go to bed for the night. I'll repost in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.