Injectors misfiring????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injectors misfiring?????

I have a 03 F-250 6.0. It has 143K. I took it to my local ford heavy truck service center. The truck has been running a little rough and lots of dark smoke when idling and when driving. Fuel mileage has been poor lately. At one point it threw a #4 cyl contribution and injector code. I got a call this afternoon and was told that they had 3 injectors that were "misfiring". Is this a electrical or mechanical problem with those injectors??? I guess what I am asking is what is misfiring exactly with these injectors?? Ford wanted to do a test on my truck when it is cold, so I will have a full diagnosis in the morning tomorrow.

Has anyone had any success with Hot Shot Secret??? I am planning on replacing all 8 injectors and glow plugs. Any other things to replace when I am tearing into the beast???

On a side note...At the 2010 World Ag Expo in Tulare Ca I had the oportunity to see the new 6.7, hear it run, and talk to all the Ford people there. I have to say it was pretty impressive. I am a little shy about buying a first year run of another ford diesel, as I bought a early 03 6.0. And we all know "THE REST OF THE STORY" on the 6.0. Although my 6.0 has been mechanically trouble free up till now.

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to provide!!!!!

Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 05:48 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03kranchman View Post
I have a 03 F-250 6.0. It has 143K. I took it to my local ford heavy truck service center. The truck has been running a little rough and lots of dark smoke when idling and when driving. Fuel mileage has been poor lately. At one point it threw a #4 cyl contribution and injector code. I got a call this afternoon and was told that they had 3 injectors that were "misfiring". Is this a electrical or mechanical problem with those injectors??? I guess what I am asking is what is misfiring exactly with these injectors?? Ford wanted to do a test on my truck when it is cold, so I will have a full diagnosis in the morning tomorrow.
Yes, I agree. THAT is the proper way to test them. The definition of a misfire to me, is a cylinder that is "not pulling its weight" in plain English. This can be caused by many components in the engine as I'm sure you are already aware. As far as mechanical or electrical, who's to say? What matters most is that it's not operating properly. I had a truck once that passed the injector buzz test with flying colours which only indicated the FICM was good, as was the wiring. It turned out that SIX out of EIGHT were bad. Your symptom of poor fuel economy is definitely consistent with their diagnosis.

Quote:
Has anyone had any success with Hot Shot Secret??? I am planning on replacing all 8 injectors and glow plugs. Any other things to replace when I am tearing into the beast???
If you have the money, and at that mileage, replacing all eight injectors wouldn't be a bad idea at all. This is assuming that oil changes are all on schedule, as are fuel filter changes. As far as glow plugs go, I've only ever had to replace ONE glow plug on a 6.0L out of all the ones I've wrenched on so far. If the glow plugs are inexpensive enough, it wouldn't hurt to replace them. Just be prepared to replace the glow plug buss bar as well, since the process of removal is likely going to damage it when you attempt to access cylinder numbers 5 and 7. As far as the Hot Shot Secret, many of my fellow members on our inner circle on another website feel it's nothing more than "snake oil". The additives you SHOULD be using though, as Ford's PM-22-A and PM-23-A additives. Those WILL produce a very noticeable difference in performance as have been reported by many of my regular customers. We can't keep it on our shelves.

Quote:
On a side note...At the 2010 World Ag Expo in Tulare Ca I had the oportunity to see the new 6.7, hear it run, and talk to all the Ford people there. I have to say it was pretty impressive. I am a little shy about buying a first year run of another ford diesel, as I bought a early 03 6.0. And we all know "THE REST OF THE STORY" on the 6.0. Although my 6.0 has been mechanically trouble free up till now.
Yes, I agree the new 6.7L does sound impressive. I am scheduled to attend a technical training course on it in April. Until it is released, and used out there in the real world, I really can't comment any further.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the Info. Much appreciated

Sean
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
If you have the money, and at that mileage, replacing all eight injectors wouldn't be a bad idea at all.
This
Old 02-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update... After the cold start test the dealer did, the answer was still the same. 3 bad injectors. One on one side and 2 on the other. I decided to have all eight replaced. I went to the dealer yesterday and they had my truck all torn apart. It was pretty cool seeing it apart after reading a lot on this website!!!!

Went back today and the truck was running and being driven by the mechanic. Exhaust was clean. Post work check revealed everything was working as advertised. Was told that if no cold start problems in the morning, I could pick it up after 9 am.

I also ordered a case of the PM-22-A that I am going to use every fill up.

My question is- What was changed when they revamped the injectors?? I know there was some re-engineering done. I have seen the brakedown on the injector and how it works, but curious as to what changed. I asked at the dealer and was told by the tech that some coil was revamped, but didnt seem too convincing.

Thanks again for the help, this site has been great!!!!

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.