Starts Up cold wont start hot - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starts Up cold wont start hot

I got a 6.0 06 truck its got 185k on it and it starts fine when its cold but when it warms up it wont crank and the HPOP only builds around 100psi. I replaced the stc fitting on the pump and all orings inside there, i had the engine apart a while back and i messed up by replacing orings on one of the fittings in the drivers side valve cover. Replaced all orings on drivers side it still does the same thing. My ? is has anyone seen an HPOP act like this? any insight would be nice thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
sounds like either the bottom oring on the dummy plugs or stc fitting. if you have done the fititng already, you need you pressurize the high pressure oil system with shop air and check for leaks.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

so u dont believe it is the high pressure pump? i replaced the dummy plug on the drivers side ill check the one on the passenger and replace the pump.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Premium Member

Update to my post. Replaced the high pressure pump, replaced both dummy plugs, the long stems were replaced not even 5k miles ago when i studded the heads, all orings are new maybe one of the seals on the injector is bad? This time im gonna try to run it w/o the valve covers on it, any tips would be great TY!!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricemiester View Post
Update to my post. Replaced the high pressure pump, replaced both dummy plugs, the long stems were replaced not even 5k miles ago when i studded the heads, all orings are new maybe one of the seals on the injector is bad? This time im gonna try to run it w/o the valve covers on it, any tips would be great TY!!
How long did you crank the engine over, after the repair? Have you air pressure tested it? Does oil fill up the oil filter housing rapidly when you crank the engine over, with the filter cap removed and the drain valve depressed with your finger?

STUPID QUESTION. When you replaced the high pressure oil pump, did you remove the red plastic protective end cap from the underside of the new pump (assuming you obtained and installed the Ford 5C4Z-9A543-B pump)?
Old 02-23-2010, 04:05 AM
Premium Member

after i did all of the repairs the engine ran. just after it warms up a bit the engine will not start. you can run it all day but it will not start after u shut it off. i can go out there now and crank it but when its gets warm i hook my scanner up to it and it only pumps up to about 100psi. just seems odd that if it had a leak it would shut off at one point
Old 02-23-2010, 04:17 AM
Premium Member

and after the engine does warm up if u crank it long enough the oil pressure guage will register eventually
Old 02-23-2010, 04:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like maybe a bad ipr valve. that is shorting when its warm
Old 02-24-2010, 03:58 AM
Premium Member

I may try to change that while im in there. I have the old one. Now another question? I put shop air to the system and hear leaks only in the passenger side valve cover. I isolated the block by putting another dummy plug in the other hole that feeds to the tube in the block. I found a bad oring in one of the injectors it was rolled. Now when i put air back to it it seems like air is coming out of the small holes on top of one of the injectors. It's not alot of air but it does still leak is that normal? also when i crank it over hot. when you turn the key on the IPR % is at 15% when u crank it it jumps to 85% now i have another 05 truck and i did the same on it but it only jumps to around 25% to 32%. Is the IPR just trying to feed it more oil or is it an IPR problem

Last edited by Ricemiester; 02-24-2010 at 04:05 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 02-24-2010, 06:54 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
85% ipr is maxed out, so somewhere you have a massive high pressure oil leak. you need to apply compressed air into the icp port or the port on the high pressure pump and then locate tthe leak from there. m-chan is corrrect, ford started putting plugs in tthe bottom of the pump during assembly. sometimes thtey gett pushed back into the pump and if you dont know its thtere you wont see it. may want to recheck it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.