Died while coming to a stop, now no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Died while coming to a stop, now no start

So here is the story,

First, 2005 CC SB 6.0 105K miles.

Second, Been driving around all day, no problems, running like a champ, just filled up at a station I usually trust and have filled up there MANY times in the past. Was at about 1/4 tank and filled to full.

Was driving home, about 5 miles total. Got to about a half mile from the house and was turning into the neighborhood. Stopped to let traffic by and it died. Stalled right out and would not restart. Pushed it all the way to my house and still wouldn't start.

It has been a little ruff to start in the mornings but runs like a champ when its warm. I have a very hard time believing the service station (shell) screwed up and put gas on the diesel pump (but I have been wrong before).

Ideas? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 07:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yikes...find out FOR SURE that they didn't fill 'er with gas insted of diesel. Seems a little coincidental!
Old 02-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
I would check your icp pressure. when a pump or ipr let go it will shut off like someone turned the key off and not restart. im betting you have a high pressure oil system issue. when it died, did it just shut off like you turned the key off, or did it chug chug then die? you need to pull some codes and check for icp pressure and take a fuel sample from the secondary fuel filter housing to make sure its 100% diesel you have in there.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Did you get plumes of white smoke along with a strong exhaust odor before it stalled? I agree with formasterdieseltech. You need to take a fuel sample. A quick and simple test you can try is pouring a small portion of the sample on the pavement a SAFE DISTANCE AWAY from flammable objects, and attempt to ignite it with a lighter. Gasoline will ignite obviously, as it will eat away at a styrofoam cup if poured into it. Do you have the fillup receipt?
Old 02-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So I called the manager of the station and they said "Tank was filled 8 days ago with diesel, it is 64% full and we have had no complaints." So either they are just spewing crap at me, or its just one hell of a coincidence. I have AE so I will pull the codes and DTCs tomorrow. I will also do the redneck fuel test as suggested .

Was a very sudden shutoff, like someone had turned off the key, no bucking, no smoke, just OFF.

Can I get ICP pressure from AE, or some other way?

I did not get the receipt from the fillup. But I have the charge on my credit card if necessary.

Last edited by mdfirefighter; 02-21-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:58 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
If you were pumping gas into your truck. You should have smelled the strong ordor of gasoline instead of diesel.

I would be finding out if you are getting fuel to the engine. Just because you filled up the truck does not mean you have something else wrong with your truck.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, AE scan done. DTCs of note: P0500 and P0263.

Redneck fuel test done, no sign of easy ignition from gas in the fuel. Pulled from both the tank and the secondary fuel filter on top of the engine.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfirefighter View Post
Redneck fuel test done, no sign of easy ignition from gas in the fuel. Pulled from both the tank and the secondary fuel filter on top of the engine.
Okay, so we've "verified" fuel quality. That's a start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfirefighter View Post
Ok, AE scan done. DTCs of note: P0500 and P0263.
P0500 = Vehicle Speed Sensor 'A'

P0263 = Cylinder #1 Contribution/Balance

Somehow, I doubt either of these two DTCs are the cause of your truck failing to start. Since you mention you have access to an AE scanner, access the following data, and post your results:

B+ (volts)

FICM_L (volts)

FICM_M (volts)

FICM_V (volts)

FICM SYNC (yes or no)

ICP Desired (psi)

ICP (volts)

ICP (psi)

IPR Duty Cycle (%)

RPM (RPM)

SYNC (yes or no)

If you haven't already, run an Injector Buzz test. Do your hear a strong loud clicking from all eight injectors? Does it flag any DTCs when you run this test? Post up results for all of the above readings at key-on/engine-off AND while cranking the engine over in an attempt to start the engine.

Last edited by m-chan68; 02-22-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:05 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via ICQ to VeeDubTDI Send a message via AIM to VeeDubTDI Send a message via MSN to VeeDubTDI Send a message via Yahoo to VeeDubTDI
Ah yes, I love m-chan68's 6.0 start-up checklist! I've added the link to my signature, too... from way back when you were helping to diagnose the guy's truck in Austria that nobody knew how to work on. Good stuff!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Buzz test sounds ok, fairly even from all the injectors.

Here is the data dump from AE
KOEO__Crank
Battery Voltage: 11__ ~9.63
CMP and CKP Are In Sync: 0 (off)__1 (on)
FICM Sync: 0 (off)__1 (on)
FICM Logic Power: 11__10
FICM Main Power: 48.5__48.5
FICM Vehicle Power: 10.5__10
IPC Desired: 0__1601
ICP: 0__61.18 (max)
ICP Volts: 0.25__0.31 (max)
ICPR: 14.84__84.77
RPM: 0__133 (max)

Fuel Pump: 99.98__99.98

The RPMs are most likely low due to all the cranking I have been doing and the batteries are a little low.

I have a data dump xls from AE if anyone would like to see it. Just PM your email and I'll send it along.

From reading around, looks like the HPOP is the issue. ICPR is WAY up and ICP is way low. But I'll hold out for the professional assessment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.