Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 Wont Start

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  kelly.pet@gmail.com 
#1 ·
Hey guys I have a 2005 6.0 and it has platinum juice with attitude and airaid cold air intake and its straight piped And I am located in utah so it is pretty cold and several months ago I got error code cylinder 5 contribution/balance fault. Then about a week later I got the FICM code that mean the output voltage is low. So i got a replacement used FICM and installed it in the truck but I didn't have it flashed to the newest firmware like I should have but the truck ran great for a couple months and the contribution/balance fault code went away. Now a few weeks ago the cylinder 5 contribution/balance fault code came back but if I cleared it would be fine all day and the only time it would come back is if the truck sat for more than about 8 hours in the cold. If it only sat for 5 or 6 hours the code wouldnt come back. So it did that for about a week then one day it changed to cylinder 1 contribution/balance fault but that only happened one time. Then it switched back to cylinder 5 contribution/balance fault. Now for about the last week and a half it doesnt throw any contribution/balance fault codes but sometimes it wont start and its really strange because it starts if it cold soaks all night and the engine temp is really low it starts its not super graceful but it starts pretty good it also starts perfectly fine if the engine is really hot the only time is has trouble starting is when my edge monitor shows the engine temp between 80-90 degrees. And it cranks good and hard but just wont fire then when you shut it off and try again it starts but it doesnt fire up nice and crisp it rolls to a start and and doesnt idle very smooth for a minute. But it will also sometimes do the same rolling effect from a completely cold soak but it at least starts everytime. And sometimes when I am just stopped at a light the idle is not very consistent it fluctuats a little bit. Also I just remebered this but about 3 months ago I got a code for the cam position sensor but I cleared it and that one has never come back. The only idea I can think of that really makes sense is that whatever tells the ECU/FICM to turn the glow plugs on or how long to turn them on is not sending the right signal so when its really cold it turns them on properly and when its still hot it doesnt need them to start fine but when it is in the middle range where it needs them to start it is not sending a good signal so they are not warming up enough or there is a problem with the FICM that is in it now. But I am definately open to suggestions. I appologize if the post didnt make a lot of sense it is my first post. Thanks in advance for your help I really appreciate it.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.