6.0 stutters and smokes when called on - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 06:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 stutters and smokes when called on

Hey all,

I've got a 2005 F-350 6.0 with 112k, temps around here (virginia) have been teens and twenties for the most part.

She drives fine around town and on the back roads, but when I get on a highway and go up a hill or mountain, she bucks and stutters and blows black smoke out the exhaust. Aside from missing, the only other sound is a "flapping" sound by the air intake.

I took it to the shop and hooked a snap-on to it and it said problem with 8th clyinder, but next day, I couldn't get it to show any codes and ran fine for most of the day....until I took it up a hill on the highway at 60 miles an hour and it started bucking, missing, blowing black smoke again. I took it back to the shop and not a single code would show up. I've replaced both fuel filters and air filter. Thought it might be water in the tank, but ran it just short of bone dry, then put heat in it. Still having problems, even afer two different sets of fuel filters and changing the truck stops multiple times from where I get my diesel. Snap-on computer says injectors are fine, I'm at a loss of what to do. I had Ford put in new injectors at 50,000, and a new ficm put in at 85,000. Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 06:31 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Its an EGR issue
Old 02-20-2010, 07:46 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
they need to have the scan tool hooked up and monitor it while the truck is acting up. it wont tell you much sitting in the shop running fine. take it out on the freeway with the scan tool and when it acts up make a recording so you can go back a look through all the data while the concern was present.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:50 AM

may be turbo vanes sticking too... mine did that to me, along with the egr cooler going south.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I took it down the road and got it to act up again, then brought it to the shop with it still running and got nothing, even when revving the engine while in park so i would produce same symptoms as described above. I don't know what it was worth, but I figured I could see if the egr was at fault or not by unplugging its wiring harness, but the truck still acted up..but who knows, I guess I am still taking a risk in not ruling our the egr since the egr valve could be stuck open.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I heard of a fella unhooking his vgt solenoid and driving around for a bit to help cook the soot out of his turbo. Crazy idea, but his truck acted exactly like mine....should I give it a try before going after the egr...then if that doesn't work...giving it up to the ford certified mechanics?
Old 02-20-2010, 08:07 PM

have you pulled the egr valve out yet to look at it? if its wet, nasty, gummed up, then your cooler is bad. if not, id pull the turbo and clean the vanes. but im leaning more towards the vanes stuck.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Egr valve was bade, but right before I picked up the new one, the smoke started turning white. I replaced the egr valve and took it to Ford with it acting up even more and becomig hard to start.
They couldn't get it to start...ended up being bent push rod, broke rocker arm, and they are thinking that the broken piece is lunged around the oil pump since no oil is present. Also, with new rocker arm and push rod in place, cylinder #8 is only reading 100 for pressure.
Fix estimated at $4,000-6,000. Reman estimated at $10,000-12,000. Truck has 6.0 and 112,000 easy miles. How could this possibly happen? I didn't even hear it, she just started idling rough, no drop or rise in gauges.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:45 PM

This is one of the reasons that Ford broke ties with Interntional. Tons of warranty claims for the 6.0 diesel. They were problamatic and not very reliable.. I wish you the best but would consider a used 6.0 or get a second opinion!!
Old 04-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I got her out of the shop and parked at the sawmill for now, just waiting for a cummins swap!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.