Pressure testing for HG failure? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 08:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pressure testing for HG failure?

I have an 04 6.0 and had it at the dealership at about 65k for puking coolant. Based on what I have read here it sounded like headgaskets to me. It would only puke when towing(14k lb. towhauler). The dealership told me they pressure tested the system and it was not the head gaskets. They replaced the oil cooler, egr cooler, radiator, and degas bottle. I had arp studs in my hand at the time of the repair but they told me I did'nt need them. This repair was done under a "good faith warranty" since my truck was out of the 5 years, so I did'nt press them on trying to get the studs put in. Last week (72k miles) while towing I noticed the smell of coolant again, and once again found coolant residue around the degas bottle. A local diesel mechanic told me the pressure test the dealership does will not usually determine head gasket failure, and that the true test is putting the truck under a load. Just wondering if anyone has the same opinion. I have done the up-pipe delete from FCDP and think the full delete, studs and gaskets are next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
what amount of cooling system pressure are you seeing under full load wide open throttle? when I have gaskets failed I almost always see 21-22psi plus. if your oil and egr coolers are good, your fan clutch and cooling system are operating properly, then more than likely you have a gasket issue. like you said you need to really load the truck up hard to get it to start puking. monitor your ect and eot temps looking for no more than 15 degree differance to eliminate an restircted oil cooler.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks for the input, I have another trip coming up and plan on loading it up again. I am going to bit the bullet and have the studs and gaskets replaced, and have the egr cooler removed while they are in there. I plan on having this truck for a while and want the piece of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.