FICM repair question...Will it be obvious that the resoldering points need repair???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 04:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM repair question...Will it be obvious that the resoldering points need repair????

Im doing the FICM resoldering repair..........Ive got the FICM dissassembled and I am looking at the resoldering points....Will it be OBVIOUS that these poitns need to be re soldered? or will they look OK to the untrained eye but really need to resoldered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
if you have it apart, I would resolder all the joints. I assume your ficm voltage was low? if so you need to go through and repair each connection to properly repair your ficm. keep in mind that not every ficm is repairable. some are just to far gone and have internal board damage. but it is definetly worth a shot.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:22 AM

I have the FICM apart. All of the areas that the FICM repair is suggesting to be resoldered looks fine to me, but Im not very skilled at circuit boards etc....Im wondering if anyone was wondering the same thing
Old 02-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
I would resolder all joints to be sure, looks can be deceving, so do them all to be sure. what was your ficm voltage or reasoning for opening your ficm up for repairs?
Old 02-20-2010, 09:45 AM

hard to start cold and missing....shuddering at higher speeds or overdrive.

I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed FICM and #1 injector.

My batteries are at 12.5V. With key on engine off, i get 20V for a few seconds and then it jumps to 48V (with key on engine off)
Old 02-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i dont have any issues starting or missing i tested my ficm and i have 48 the only time it goes to bout 23 is when the glowplugs or injectors tick and tick faster then stop and the voltage goes back to 48. i dont think i have a bad one i really have no sign.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:50 AM

I decided not to with my FICM because my soldering skills suck. I have a new 58V FICM coming Wednesday from Swamps. Will let you know how it turns out.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Dr. of Linemantology

i am an electrician and bs in electronics. it is not obvous which onesneed to be re-soldered but the rpair is refering to te ones which hold down the round silver things. these are transformers which basically take 12 volts, and through a series of winding ratios step up the 12 volts into 48 volts. some places like innovative wll go through it an change out these transformers to steup the voltage to 58 volts which i assume allows the injector to open longer, hard easier, im not really sure howit affects the injectors. i did mine and it worked great for a day. i left a little too much solder on one of the connections and it eventually rubbed through the vinyl protective material between the connections you will be fixing and the case. It shorted and smoked the FICM. Now not only is it not repairable but no-one will except it as a core return. i do all my own repairs and feel i am smart an very mechanically inclinded, but after the stupid blunder with my FICM which costs in the pocket book, paying someone $200 bucks and guaranteeing it IS CHEAPER AND WORTH IT the trying to do it yourself. This is only my opinion and i realizeit is hard for some people to not have their vehicles dwn while its shippe off to be re-worked. you have to weigh out yor own options and do whats right for you. Hope any of this rambling helps/
Craig Richard
Old 02-21-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quequeg37 View Post
i am an electrician and bs in electronics. it is not obvous which onesneed to be re-soldered but the rpair is refering to te ones which hold down the round silver things. these are transformers which basically take 12 volts, and through a series of winding ratios step up the 12 volts into 48 volts. some places like innovative wll go through it an change out these transformers to steup the voltage to 58 volts which i assume allows the injector to open longer, hard easier, im not really sure howit affects the injectors. i did mine and it worked great for a day. i left a little too much solder on one of the connections and it eventually rubbed through the vinyl protective material between the connections you will be fixing and the case. It shorted and smoked the FICM. Now not only is it not repairable but no-one will except it as a core return. i do all my own repairs and feel i am smart an very mechanically inclinded, but after the stupid blunder with my FICM which costs in the pocket book, paying someone $200 bucks and guaranteeing it IS CHEAPER AND WORTH IT the trying to do it yourself. This is only my opinion and i realizeit is hard for some people to not have their vehicles dwn while its shippe off to be re-worked. you have to weigh out yor own options and do whats right for you. Hope any of this rambling helps/
Craig Richard
Thanks for your input..I did not feel comfortable doing the soldering myself.

I have a modified FICM coming from Swamps Diesel ($400) this week and I will return my old FICM to them. I would rather have piece of mind than question my soldering abilities on a $600-700 part.

i will let you know how it turns out....I might need an injector also.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Dr. of Linemantology

good deal. i wasn't soliciting for innovative to get business for them , tey are the only one i couldthink of that did the FICM re-work. Its great t save money if you can do it yourself but $400 for piece of mind is well worth it. Hope it works and your rig gets back on the road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.