6.0 wont start, somehow stereo related - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 07:44 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 6.0 wont start, somehow stereo related

Hey guys newb here. Found this forum doing a google search trying to fix my gf's truck.

Its an 05 F250 4x with an aftermarket stereo...amp and speakers the whole deal. Stereo stops working, gf's brother fixes stereo and it sounds amazing. He drives truck home and parks it. Next morning truck wont start.

The truck ran tits until the stereo got fixed. So we think they are related. Im told there is a drain on the batts from unknown source and the fuel pump is not getting a full 12.4 volts.

Gf's little bro spent the past week trying to fix the truck. They changed fuel filters, two brand new batts, at some point the truck ran after new batteries but then next day wont fire up again.

Please can anyone tell me where to start? I got my multimeter and decent at using it.

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 07:48 AM

The health of the electrical system is critical on these trucks. That being said Load test Your batteries, check alternator for output then if all checks out search FICM volts and check the volts on the FICM, You will need a multi meter If there is still a drain in the system You need to find it and get rid of it. Post if You need further help. Take care.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:58 AM

Hey wow that was fast you rock!!! Ok few dumb questions....

1. batts are 2 days old should i still take to autozone to load test?

2. can i check alternator on vehicle or take that into auto shop to test?

will start reading about FICM right now thank you sir

i have not spoke to little bro yet.....but i think he is telling his sis that fuel pump is not getting enough volts to push gas through injectors. not sure that helps diagnose anything.

thank you thank you!!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadaHead View Post

i have not spoke to little bro yet.....but i think he is telling his sis that fuel pump is not getting enough volts to push gas through injectors. not sure that helps diagnose anything.

thank you thank you!!
I would hope 2 day old batteries are good? I would make sure by testing them. You should be able to check Alt. output w/multimeter should be around 14v. If FICM volts check out then You should head to the fuel system or the HPOP. Let us know how You do.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

is the radio draining the battery the whole night?

didn't see if you tried to jump it or not
Old 02-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I would add one thing. I also run 2 amps on my system. If the truck is not running and I am playing my radio, I can burn my brand new batteries really quick, 4-6 hours. 2 suggestions:
1: Get the alternator check out
2: Make sure that the amp turn on lead is hooked up correctly. If the amps are not shutting down, they will drain your battery in no time flat.
3: Might need to add a capacitor if system is putting out monster wattage. Check the load on the alternator with the stereo on (put some volume into it to load the amplifiers) and with the stereo off. If you are seeing a significant difference, you might need to add a capacitor for the stereo/amps.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:30 PM

thanks guys. just realized i cant check alt because the truck wont start.

i think maybe the stereo fried a component related to the fuel pump. they have tried jumping truck and with new batts it still wont fire.

is the fuel pump by the big fuel filter? i have yet to see this engine in person. not exactly sure what im gonna see and how i will test volts coming to it.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by medplus View Post
I would add one thing. I also run 2 amps on my system. If the truck is not running and I am playing my radio, I can burn my brand new batteries really quick, 4-6 hours. 2 suggestions:
1: Get the alternator check out
2: Make sure that the amp turn on lead is hooked up correctly. If the amps are not shutting down, they will drain your battery in no time flat.
3: Might need to add a capacitor if system is putting out monster wattage. Check the load on the alternator with the stereo on (put some volume into it to load the amplifiers) and with the stereo off. If you are seeing a significant difference, you might need to add a capacitor for the stereo/amps.
4-6 Hours?? I'm jealous... Mines drained after about 20mins..
Old 02-19-2010, 04:45 PM

Cool Battery Issue

I went through battery problems last year. Made a mistake an bought 2 new batteries but lower amperage cause that is all they had. Lasted about 8 months then were constantly dying. I have aftermarket stereo with amp and sub... Everytime I would bring to Orielly they tested fine as well a alternator. Test on battery tester at home an showed weak. Finally the last time I took them out of truck and brought for load testin and low n behold weak cells, an I explained to Mgr of my situation and they actually upgraded me to what I needed!! No problems since!! Also make sure your terminals are tight and clean!!!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:50 PM
shaking things up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadaHead View Post

thank you thank you!!
try jumping the truck to read the alt output while it is running if jumping it works look towards the alt or batts also dont push gas in your injectors that would cause a huge problem
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.