Head Gasket pops a 2 weeks after being replaced. Help. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 03:18 PM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head Gasket pops a 2 weeks after being replaced. Help.

I really hate to start another head gasket story but, after reading and reading for days at a time on this subject I have to ask a few things.

First of all, At the first of the year I just got my truck back from the dealership. Truck was bone stock except for a MBRP 4" exhaust. The egr cooler went out and blew the head gaskets. So much coolant was in the cylinders that it wouldn't even turn over. My truck was ONE MONTH out of warranty so I had to foot the bill. Labor alone was $2200 and they warranted their work for one year. They recommended that I used ARP studs. So I got those and Black onyx gaskets. They even said they would do the EGR delete since it was out of warranty. They even loaded up a SCT with innovative tunes on it for me. (truck was stock tune before)

I got the truck back and it ran great. Except my heater didn't work like it should. It would fade out every once in a while. After a week or so the heater would barley work and never while idling. It would puke all the coolant out of the degas bottle. They said it was the cap. Nope. Tried a new one and same thing. It would build 18-20psi in the cooling system when I would barely pull out and the coolant would puke instantly.

First thing that troubles me is they only used a strait edge to check my heads with. Never sent it to a machine shop to be tested. Could be warped or even have a crack in it. Second is, can the head studs even be re-used? Should they make me pay for gaskets and head studs that isn't an OEM part?

I just received some troubling news and hour ago. My mechanic friend (at another shop) called me and told me about his cousin that works at our ford dealership. He told him that they were gonna try to screw me out of the warranty on their work (supposed to be for one year) because of my tuner (that they put on).

I'm really upset right now and could use any help I could get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 03:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ouch!!!!!! Could be warped or cracked heads. I think the dealership ought to foot the bill for the labor. Sounds like they could've done a better job checking the heads. Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:26 PM

The studs can be reused.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:38 PM
My 6OH Hates Me

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
sorry to hear, stick to your guns, do you have the warranty in writing?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:47 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
hmmm..is your name Rob?
Old 02-17-2010, 03:54 PM
First 6.7 PS Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by willholl79 View Post
Ouch!!!!!! Could be warped or cracked heads. I think the dealership ought to foot the bill for the labor. Sounds like they could've done a better job checking the heads. Good luck, keep us posted.
I agree and I will be going in the morning to see what I can find out. I'll keep you guys posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCS250 View Post
The studs can be reused.
I was hoping for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunninpig View Post
sorry to hear, stick to your guns, do you have the warranty in writing?
That I will have to check. I hope I don't have to fight this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrannan19 View Post
hmmm..is your name Rob?
It sure is
Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
They should have sent them to be checked, ford now allows only .004" distortion max (used to be .002" until recently). checking the heads with a flat edge and feeler gauge is not perfect by any means, and in my opinion a good machine shop is the only way to go.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticblu999 View Post
It sure is
yea..the dealer called me..since I got the gaskets for you, wanted to know what type of warranty I had on the gaskets since it was back in less then a month (I think is what he said) I said, um...really, there is no warranty. But I also asked him if they checked the heads..his reply was, oh yea..we checked the heads, they are all good, very sure of his response ya know. I then said, so, you can provide me with a receipt where you sent the heads to a machine shop and had the vacuum tested, pressure tested, magnafluxed for cracks and checked for flatness, because that is checking heads IMO. He then stumbles and says well, um, yea, um, I don't think we did that, I said then you didn't check the heads at all. If the heads are cracked can you always see that? NO!! If the heads are leaking, can you see that? NO!! If the heads are warped, can you see that? Sometimes, but most techs don't take the time to check them good enough IMHO. I also asked him if they visually inspected the block for scoring or cracks to which he responds, well...um, no, I don't think that was checked.

All of this kind of baffled me since its a ford dealership, they should know of these types of things prior to calling a parts supplier, IMO. But it doesn't matter what gaskets you use or what fasteners (ARP or H11) you use, if the platform is bad, IE, cracked heads, warped heads or cracked block or bad surface area on the block, the gaskets will blow, plain and simple.

I told them if they provided me with a receipt that showed that type testing was done, i would see what I could do, but I already know what the answer will be. Sorry you are having issues, but the issue isn't the headgasket.

If they supplied you with a SCT tuner and loaded the tunes, then blamed failure on the tunes now, they are grasping at straws on how not to take care of the problem.

How did you pay for the tuner? Did you get a receipt?
Old 02-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
yea..the dealer called me..since I got the gaskets for you, wanted to know what type of warranty I had on the gaskets since it was back in less then a month (I think is what he said) I said, um...really, there is no warranty. But I also asked him if they checked the heads..his reply was, oh yea..we checked the heads, they are all good, very sure of his response ya know. I then said, so, you can provide me with a receipt where you sent the heads to a machine shop and had the vacuum tested, pressure tested, magnafluxed for cracks and checked for flatness, because that is checking heads IMO. He then stumbles and says well, um, yea, um, I don't think we did that, I said then you didn't check the heads at all. If the heads are cracked can you always see that? NO!! If the heads are leaking, can you see that? NO!! If the heads are warped, can you see that? Sometimes, but most techs don't take the time to check them good enough IMHO. I also asked him if they visually inspected the block for scoring or cracks to which he responds, well...um, no, I don't think that was checked.
A VERY intelligent response IMO. Probably the most intelligent post I've EVER read out of all of yours so far, and I couldn't agree more. For this exact reason, I INSIST on having the heads sent out and checked on any 6.0L I've ever had off.

Quote:
All of this kind of baffled me since its a ford dealership, they should know of these types of things prior to calling a parts supplier, IMO. But it doesn't matter what gaskets you use or what fasteners (ARP or H11) you use, if the platform is bad, IE, cracked heads, warped heads or cracked block or bad surface area on the block, the gaskets will blow, plain and simple.
Another very good point that needs to be clarified time and again.

Quote:
If they supplied you with a SCT tuner and loaded the tunes, then blamed failure on the tunes now, they are grasping at straws on how not to take care of the problem.

How did you pay for the tuner? Did you get a receipt?
I would be very interested in knowing this myself too.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
Probably the most intelligent post I've EVER read out of all of yours so far
damn..I guess I typically suck..LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.