Join Date: Dec 2005
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Head Gaskets
Happy to have finished what was one heck of a project. Apologies for no pics it would have been good opportunity, but there are couple of other DIY head gasket threads which actually I referenced during the rebuild. Many Thanks! to those guys for posting those awesome pics.
Have a 2005 F250 XL 4x4 6.0L which developed whistling leading to coolant puking issues. This is daily commuter and second job work truck. I tow a decent amount; 4,000 to 8,000lbs regularly and 12,500 once. Whistling started at about 98,000 miles. Recently at 130,000; intermittent cabin heat, whistling, and the puking was ridicules. It threw out coolant at anything more than 5 psi boost. I even got the coolant to spit out of the hood seam once. Performed test for hydrocarbons several times with no indication of combustion gases ever. Coolant system pressure quickly would get 16+ psi.
Replaced the Oil cooler and went to upgraded egr cooler while I was in there.
It was much better at that point. Had heat and held coolant … well until I started to get on it. It would throw out a little bit and only at more than 15-20 psi boost, still much better. Coolant pressure still went high but only after high loads.
Soon got scared I was going to hurt something so I pulled it in the barn late one Saturday night. Did this with cab on and AC in. 14 hrs later had heads ready to pull but couldn’t make it for another 24 hrs so I pulled them by myself, really dumb move, but it worked out. Sent them to machine shop for pressure test, milling if needed, and went ahead with valve work. I thought I would be done and driving in about two weeks.
Now comes first delay. There was confusion over valve seals and they became the schedule driver which made the heads take two full weeks. I don’t blame the machine shop it was overall a weird thing. Ended up at a Ford dealer and still could not get them even though they showed a 1,000 in local warehouse. They said the warehouse said it was an “odd quantity” for the 32 ordered. Canceled there and found some Felpro seals for much cheaper. Heads are back and head gaskets due to be delivered same time.
Then the weather forecast hits with 2’ of snow. Oops! Not good. Snow on ground but the UPS man came through despite. I had to hours before having to go to work so I hit it hard only a little snow blowing inside. The barn not completely weather tight but had a concrete floor and roof. By the next night there was 4” snow on floor inside of Barn and a lot outside due to extra snow off of the roof. Oh yeah the truck didn’t fit all the way in so half of it is outside getting buried. Got back to it on Sunday and the build went OK. I snapped the black retaining clip on a rocker arm. Grabbed another from the last rocker to go in and finished one head. OK and almost had the second ready to go on and damn if I didn’t break another one. I grabbed a double rocker and squeezed a little too hard. Don’t think the 20 degree temps and frozen hands helped much. Went to a new dealer who I really like a lot better and ordered couple clips and they were due in a day. They came and then went to another dealer by total mistake. That’s ok I still like them. Then the second snow hit on Wednesday; less snow, 12” but much higher 40mph winds. Now no parts are moving and the project site looks like a mess. Snow was up to top of tailgate. Finally got parts by Friday so only lost a week due to my fumble fingers. Had two hrs before work and all day sun and Monday. I lost bunch of time looking for the threaded holes to bolt the rear heat shield to the HPOP cover. Turns out they had been cut off … so I was looking for holes that didn’t exist. Not sure if this is normal but it seamed weird. Only work performed prior was warranty for HPOP STC fitting and 4 injectors total.
Black Onyx Head Gaskets
EGR Delete – (Upgraded EGR cooler for sale.)
New Oil Rail Plugs
Finished her up and was getting happy. Filled it up with oil and reached for the dipstick … and it wasn’t there. In my final furry I forgot it and now 10 things are in the way. Oh well I eventually got it installed by removing EBP tube/sensor and loosening the coolant reservoir and pushed it to the side. Cranked but wouldn’t fire. I looked to see ¼ tank and my frozen brain remembered reading – Need fuel to prime, thought i had filled it. Went and got 5 gallons. Two crank sessions later it fired and smooth and quiet. Warmed up and went 20 feet out of the Barn and got stuck. The Barn is 300 feet from the driveway and in a low area, the drifts are noticeable. Today I am about 80’ out, but stuck again. I also have bald tires. Would love to road test it but, not yet. Hoping for a warm spell, but thinking the local farmer will be getting a help request. I am exhausted but can’t wait to road test.