I am I driving a ticking time bomb? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 09:08 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am I driving a ticking time bomb?

I just bought this truck and am learning about the head bolt/head gasket issues. I ordered a Hypertech programmer for it. I only plan to use stage 2 on the programmer. I am asking for trouble? Is this engine going to blow at any time???? Or a I just being to paranoid?

Thanks for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04GrayPowerStroke View Post
I just bought this truck and am learning about the head bolt/head gasket issues. I ordered a Hypertech programmer for it. I only plan to use stage 2 on the programmer. I am asking for trouble? Is this engine going to blow at any time???? Or a I just being to paranoid?

Thanks for your replies.
Do yourself a favor and send the Hypertech back and get an SCT with custom tunes. Also, you need to get a good set of gauges to monitor EGT, trans. temp., and boost. It depends a lot on how you drive it and what you use it for as far as the head gasket and EGR cooler issues. If at all possible, I would do a complete EGR delete as well.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Do yourself a favor and send the Hypertech back and get an SCT with custom tunes. Also, you need to get a good set of gauges to monitor EGT, trans. temp., and boost. It depends a lot on how you drive it and what you use it for as far as the head gasket and EGR cooler issues. If at all possible, I would do a complete EGR delete as well.
Well at the most we tow a 8K lb travel trailer. At least once a year we take it over the rockies via I-40. the EGR assy was replaced in 06. Can you point me in the direction for the EGT delete? Is there a how too floating out there.

So are any programers going to be hard on HG a head bolts?

Thanks again!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:22 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Well at the most we tow a 8K lb travel trailer. At least once a year we take it over the rockies via I-40. the EGR assy was replaced in 06. Can you point me in the direction for the EGT delete? Is there a how too floating out there.

So are any programers going to be hard on HG a head bolts?

Thanks again!
Any programmer is going to add stress to the factory head bolts/gaskets, EGR cooler and everything else. Some are just going to do it more safely than others. Personally, knowing what I know now I wouldn't use anything other than an SCT. It tunes the engine and transmission which the other programmers do NOT do. I had a Banks 6 Gun on my truck and blew my head gaskets and EGR cooler. I got my SCT with custom tunes and there is no comparison. There are write ups on here to show you how to install an EGR delete. There are a lot of EGR delete kits out there. Sinister Diesel, River City Diesel, etc. etc., but the best one I have seen and will be installing is the kit from FirstCoastDieselPerformance.com -- Your Source For Powerstroke Performance
Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:

Thanks for your replies.
The 2004 PowerStrokes have had alot of TSB's on them regarding the head bolt issues. Ford is having problems even in factory condition. We have been selling our programmers for years with no adverse affects. We tune the PowerStroke point by point all the way through the rpm range. We dont feel that the Hypertech unit will cause any undo stress on the motor. Our programmer can be run on stage 3 and tow up to the vehicles recommended weight from Ford.
The power gains with the programmer is stage 1. 37hp stage 2.80 and stage 3. 115hp. All of our dyno charts are listed on our website. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. Kenny
Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 AM

Thanks for the info. Got the programmer installed yesterday. WOW Much more power than my 7.3 with the Power Programmer 3. Very impressed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.