how hard is exhaust install? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 04:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
how hard is exhaust install?

i am looking to put an exhaust on my 03. which would is better a 4" or 5" is there any problems installing these. and what kind of results should i see such as in mpg & hp gain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
03 6.0 I assume by your name. 5" allows most air flow, but could be harder to put on. I have a Banks Monster and that has a 3.5" downpipe to 4" and it works really well. Maybe 1-2mpg gain depending on how you drive. Horsepower, maybe 10-15 I think? Don't quote me on that.

I found it to be fairly difficult because I didn't have a lift to put the truck on--or ramps for that matter. I had it parked up against my culvert and the biggest issue was getting the downpipe off and past all the firewall. If you don't have a lift, you have to cut the downpipe to get it off (or atleast I did). I would recommend taking out all the firewall crap too, it just breaks up and can cause problems down the line. Should've seen how much of that crap was on my engine and ripped apart.

Good luck
Old 02-11-2010, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I found that 5" is not much better unless your going nuts on mods. I did 4" MagnaFlow SS only because I got a steal for it. The MBRP is also great and what I planned on. I installed myself, alone except for getting the down pipe installed and last bit lining up of everything. About 8 hours with several breaks and maybe a beer or two. I cut the old out, loosened the clamp on turbo, slid all out and went to town. Biggest issue is getting the down pipe connected. I also had issues with the bolt at the bottom of the down pipe, just no room to tighten it up. With patience and sore arms I got it. Not sure in terms of extra power as I added my SCT at the same time. Keep in mind you will press the fun pedal more to hear it which will probably get you worse milage. I have run my SCT in stock now that I think and it was a noticable improvement but the SCT gave HUGE difference. If I had help and had the git it done attitude it would have taken 3 hours.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:18 PM

i should have told you i do have access to a lift and two good mechanics that don`tcare to help at my work. will it still be a pain with the 5" & how much turbo will i here oh yeah and i already have tuner on it i really don`t hot rod it much i just like hearing that turbo
Old 02-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
In my opinion, I would just stick with a 4" DP. Just my .02
Old 02-11-2010, 05:23 PM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Even if you go with a 5" system the downpipe will only be 4", that's all they can physically fit in there.

Unless you're going to be making over 500 HP I would save my money for other mods and go with a 4" system. Sometimes bigger is not better.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Turning diesel into noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by cain6.0 View Post
i should have told you i do have access to a lift and two good mechanics that don`tcare to help at my work. will it still be a pain with the 5" & how much turbo will i here oh yeah and i already have tuner on it i really don`t hot rod it much i just like hearing that turbo
You tube it!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy_0dHhjgtk (Not my truck in the videos) It whistles like a Peterbilt with a Cat and rumbles over 2000 RPM like the 428 I had in my old 76 F250
Old 02-11-2010, 05:29 PM

you made my mind up for me. thanks fellars hey mcflan that turbo sounds pretty good
Old 02-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Choctaw is right IMHO. 5" would be a waste, just cool to tell and post in a sig, the dp would only be 4" anyway. I hear a decent turbo at idle but have found the muffler kills the whine you are looking for. I still have my muffler but plan on taking it out to get that killer turbo sound. Heard a straight pipe like mine and the whine was much more than me. Search youtube and most important, ask people when you hear one you like. They usually would tell you all you want to know about their truck.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1693Cat View Post
You tube it!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy_0dHhjgtk (Not my truck in the videos) It whistles like a Peterbilt with a Cat and rumbles over 2000 RPM like the 428 I had in my old 76 F250
That sounds just like mine with a 4" TB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.