Coolant Overflow/tranny Hesitation - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2006, 02:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KD73
Cool Coolant Overflow/tranny Hesitation

I Have An '04 F250 Psd With The Edge Juice/attitude Monitor, 4 Inch Magnaflow Exhaust And Afe Air Box. In The Higher Settings On The Module, It Blows Coolant Out Of The Reservoir Around The Cap. Anyone Else Have This Problem? I Also Had Contacted Edge About The Shifting Of The Tranny In The Higher Settings. Feels Like It Doesn't Know What To Do. Hesitates Going From 3rd To 4th. Sometimes Wont Upshift At All Unless I Let Off The Throttle About Half Way. I Thought It Was Slipping At First. Edge Said They Made An Upgrade For The Juice's Earlier Models, The Evolution Trans Only Programmer. I Got It From Them, And Worked Some Of The Sloppy Shifting Out Of It, But It Still Hesitates Between Shifts. Anyone Know A Cure For That? Or Am I Not Programming It Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2006, 07:03 AM
Banned

KD......the blowing coolant out of the resevour could be one of a few things.......first off, check your coolant level cold....it should not be above the cold fill line on that resevour......ford has a TSB that says that it should be at or a little below the lower line on your bottle cold........

the second thing it could be is an EGR cooler. when they fail exhaust gas can get into the coolant causing high pressure and therefore coolant blowing out

the third thing it could be is blown headgaskets.....and if it is your on thin ice if your warranty is still good. make sure to make that truck BONE stock minus the exhaust and air intake.....NOTHING else cause if the dealer gets wind of any kind of a chip they will not warranty the repair. Odds are good that if it is blown head gaskets that your chip actually caused it........overboosting the turbo causing the head bolts to actually stretch.......unfortunately this is the one im suspecting since it only does it on the higher chip settings..which are the higher boost settings as well.......Marc
Old 03-25-2006, 04:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks For The Reply, The Coolant Level Is A Little High Then. It Is Sitting Above The Low Line. When I Took My Truck In To The Dealership About 3 Weeks Ago For What They Called A Blown Egr Coolant Line, I Did Take The Module Out, But The Exhaust And Intake Were Still On. They Did A Pressure Check And Said That It Was The Egr. They Replaced It, And Took Care Of Two Recalls While It Was There. They Did It All Under Warranty.. I Have A Little Over 53,000 Miles On The Truck. I Should Have Stated This Earier That I Had Taken It In Once, I Posted It On Another Thread. After Getting My Truck Back, It Had Been Idling Real Rough In The Mornings When I Would Start It. Make Alot Of Noise, Etc. It Did Not Do This Before I Took It In, But I Think I May Have Solved My Own Question. About A Year Ago When I Got The Truck, I Had Disconected The Egr And Taken The Plate Out Of It. When They Put My Truck Back Together, They Of Course Hooked Everything Back Up, Minus The Plate. I Realized Later That I Had Indeed Forgotten About This And Have Since Disconected It Again, And It Seems To Be Doing Much Better.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I Forgot To Ask, What Boost Pressure Is Safe? I Have My Module Set To De-fuel At 31 Psi, It Has Jumped Up Around 34 Before. I Don't Horse-whip My Truck Very Often
Old 03-25-2006, 05:16 PM
Banned

look at the right valve cover right up front....there will be a module with two big connectors.....if there is a sensor there with three wires that actually goes right into the valve cover....yours is a late build.......if there is no sensor there....yours is an early build.......

i would never run a early build over 26PSI.....

i would never run a late build over 30PSI.....

just my opinion....you may be able to get away with more....but i know if it was my truck and i tried to push it over those numbers......mine would blow headgaskets......so taket it for what ya want........Marc
Old 03-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I Will Go Check, Thanks...
Old 03-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I Will Go Check, Thanks...build Date Nov. 03. It Has A Sensor
Old 03-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Banned

if your sure the ICP sensor is on the passanger valve cover right by that module with the two connectors.....then yours is a late build and i would try to keep it under 30psi....they would run to approx 28 stock under max load......Marc
Old 03-25-2006, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright, Thanks. I Will Change My De-fueling Point Then. My Name Is Kirk By The Way....
Old 03-25-2006, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD73
Alright, Thanks. I Will Change My De-fueling Point Then. My Name Is Kirk By The Way....
welcome to the forum kirk ....and just so you know...i was reading your trans post in the edge thread.....and part of your problem could be you have the line pressures too high....the trans is electronically controlled and looks for a low spike in the line pressures to time the shift point....if it never sees that split second dropp in line pressures...then the computer will not tell it to allow the solenoid to shift....this may or may not have anything to do with what your truck is doing....just thought i would mention it......Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.