6.0 hard start after engine dies - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 07:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 hard start after engine dies

My truck may have some type of fuel problem or high pressure oil leak. After running awhile, it dies and then is very hard to start. Usually won't start until it cools back down. Can anyone help me with information on what this problem might be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 08:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you change the fuel filters?
Old 09-02-2007, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have something similar butthe truck never dies ...after shut down and then sit for 10 - 15 min it wont lite off. it cranks with no intention of starting. after about a half hour or so if fires right off HELP
Old 12-31-2012, 06:26 PM

im gonna revive an old thread....since i'm having the same issues. started about 3 months ago. hard to start to when cold then one day got the typical starter clak clak clak indicating dead batteries. no worries. new batts in. cured the problem for about a month and a half. then try starting and INTERMITTENTLY truck will be difficult to start, long cranking periods then when does fire up low idle around 300-400 rpm for a bit then slowly creeps up. after about a minute idles normally. now the kicker...
this has only been happening after driving and shutting off for a few minutes then starting again i.e. going to a store, buying something then coming back out.
starter will turn engine over but truck won't start. after SEVERAL attempts and usually waiting 10-20 mins the truck will turn over and start up but slowly like mentioned above. this has happened 3 times over the last 2 weeks. when the glow plug light is on i can hear a clicking coming from then engine compartment but the clicking continues even after the light is out. i dont know if that's related or not. i'm pretty mechanically inclined but don't know enough about diesels to effectively diagnose this. tomorrow i'm going to check the FICM voltage and see what that says. anyone know if FICM is AC or DC? my multi meter reads both. some other threads mention ICP, IPR and HPOP. what is the ICP/IPR and what do they stand for? how would the high pressure oil pump affect this? thanks.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not starting hot

Its low high presure oil that is not letting it start, seen it before, well worn engine, turn it off very hot, or just go to idle very hot and wont run again until it cools...

Now the reason for low high presure is for you to find!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 PM

if that's the case then i'm assuming there's either a blockage in the left or rights lines that run from the HPOP to the injector rails or a bad HPOP. i'll review my paperwork and see if the HPOP was replaced by the previous owner and if so when/where. given the 6.0L's history with HPOP's i'm leaning that direction if this is the case. i think i can rule out the IPR/ICP's because it's not surging at all. i haven't gotten any check engine lights so that leads me towards something mechanical and the HPOP would make sense on that end. i have free oil changes and those have been right at 5000 miles since i bought it. anyone out there have anything else to add?
Old 12-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check your high pressure when cranking, computer wont even try at less than 500 i believe... From what i have seen its oil is just too thin at high temp for the pumps to be able to get that 500psi start point... But *** soon as its running it can keep cooling that oil fairly fast...
Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 PM

how do i do that...is there a link with a how to? like i said, i'm pretty mechanically inclined but just don't know much about diesels yet as this is my first one. want an auto swapped to manual trans...done that. ifs to solid axle..yea done that too. HPOP diagnosis....yea not so much.....internet and searches on here are showing lots of articles about Low HPOil and people say "checked hpoil pressure" but no actual walk through of how. swamps diesel has an article how to test the IPR with a voltmeter but doesn't really say how to get to it to do it. i really don't want to spend $1500 i dont have for shop to do something i'm sure i can learn how to do myself with the proper resources.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ya you need a code reader that can handle the 6.0 pids in datastream.. If wanna dip your toes in 6.0 diagnotics, you need to find a way to talk to it...
Old 12-31-2012, 10:28 PM

oy...ok. any that you recommend or where to buy one from? can the Edge CTS i have do that? it was already part of the vehicle when i bought it so no owner's manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.