Techs, do I really need the special socket to remove IPR valve? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Techs, do I really need the special socket to remove IPR valve?

The manual says I need special socket, no. 303-1112 or ST2859-A to remove my IPR valve ('05 6.0). Is this true, or can I use something else? If I can cut down a socket, what size? Three Ford dealers around me don't sell tools, and those numbers don't come up with anything in Snap-on or Mac searches. I am also looking for part number 303-765, which is an adapter to plug into the ICP hole to adapt to an air fitting.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Lakeside6.0; 02-05-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
yeah rotunda offers a special socket to remove the ipr. there is a 6 point and a 12 point verson. big pair of channel locks or ive seen people use a sharp chisel and tap it around til its loose and then spin it out.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

An update...

I guess the factory version of that tool runs about $200 and up if you google it. Thats a lot of money for one socket I hope to use once. I bought the IPR valve, and it is 35 mm at the nut. Sears didn't carry anything that big, so I went to a Harbor Freight Tools. Don't worry, I wore a disguise. I found a set of deep impact sockets for axle nuts that was $40 for all five sockets. I will have to cut a groove for the electrical connection, of course, and possibly grind down the diameter if it's tight in there. Channel locks and such don't seem a viable option unless I remove the turbo, which I shouldn't have to do if I use a socket.
As far as the adapter for the ICP sensor, that comes up at $66 if you google the numbers. Still a little pricey for a one ounce fitting. On another post someone said go to a hydraulic shop for an adapter and gauge, but my local hydraulic shop said it is not a standard fitting of any type. I may have to forgo the air pressure test of the HP oil system.
Old 02-06-2010, 04:41 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Depends on how much you want to take apart.

You can do the IPR without removing the turbocharger if you have the proper socket. If you make your own out of a spindle socket, you will not likely be able to get it to fit with the turbo/intake/etc on.

What I would do, if I was you, take the turbo off and use a wrench. I believe it measures out at 1-7/16" if I remember correctly.

As for the tool to air the system up, I have another suggestion for you. If you're going to have the IPR out, turbo off, I would put the updated one-piece STC fitting kit in it while you're there.

The reason I say this, is because in this kit comes a small chrome plug that you can drill a hole through and fabricate your own air-leak tool out of. That little plug screws into the top of the HPOP, but the thread pitch and size is the same as the ICP sensor in the valve cover.

Alternatively, you could take your ICP sensor to plumbing shop and see if they can match 'er up.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:30 PM

If there is anyone wondering the thread size of ICP sensor off of a an 07 is 12mm x 1.50mm. I am assuming that it is the same for all the 6.0ls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.