Bed Plate Seal - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2007, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bed Plate Seal

Has anyone had this seal replaced, and if so was there truck ever the same after they put the truck back together? I am having second thoughts about this repair the oil leak is not that bad. It only drips once or twice a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 09:51 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

if its done right you wont have any problems , i have had people decide not to do it though , ask to talk to the tech about it , that way you get e feel for what he knows ,and you usually can tell if they know what there talking about
Old 04-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

I had mine done about a month and a half ago. No problems since. The truck runs just as good as it did prior to the work and no leak! I had second thoughts at first but after a long conversation with the tech that would be working on it, I felt better about having it torn apart. He also requested that I stop in from time to time to check things out during the process. FWIW, I am glad I had it done.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:10 PM

I passed on the same issue. Upon talking to the service manager and hearing what the tech thought I decided to live with it. I have faith in the tech, tearing down a low mileage engine that runs perfectly is not worth it with a small 2 drip leak. I was told that it will not get worse, and if it sludges up a little it may stop. ( OK, I hear the groans,good luck with that, Rattlebox!) I have 3 years left to go on the warranty, I am going to wait and have it done if I have a larger issue.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:42 PM
Banned

the biggest thing with a bedplate leak...is to be ABSOLUTELY sure that is the leak. It is a major job, and if a well qualified tech does the job there should be no negatives...BUT......

bed plate leaks are often mis diagnosed...often times they are a cam, or crank sensor....or are a leak that is dripping back from the seam between the bed plate and block that is coming from somewere else. This is absolutely not to say they dont leak...but its not common....ESPECIALLY in a motor that has never been touched...the most common cause for a bed plate leak is an improperly done front cover or rear cover removal. if you dont cut the silicone before those jobs you risk streatching the bed plate gasket...
Old 04-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So Marc I have had the same issue with mine as you may already know. they changed the rear seal twice and now they believe it is the bedplate. It only has 10k on it and i am starting to feel like rattlebox about mine. Besides the rear seal being changed, nothing else has been been done to it. No other engine work. In your opinion do you think they advised him right? If you were in my predicament would you have the seal changed or not? Thanks!

Last edited by kibbe; 04-17-2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibbe View Post
So Marc I have had the same issue with mine as you may already know. they changed the rear seal twice and now they believe it is the bedplate. It only has 10k on it and i am starting to feel like rattlebox about mine. Besides the rear seal being changed, nothing else has been been done to it. No other engine work. In your opinion do you think they advised him right? If you were in my predicament would you have the seal changed or not? Thanks!
i personally would not change the bed plate gasket unless it was leaking bad enough to leave a small puddle or more daily...a drip here and there, if that is the cause, i would live with...that said i still say that 90% of bed plate gasket replacements are misdiagnosed...
Old 04-17-2007, 05:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the repy Marc, it is greatly appreciated!
Old 04-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibbe View Post
Thanks for the repy Marc, it is greatly appreciated!
no problem buddy
Old 04-17-2007, 07:11 PM

Thanks for the thumbs up! (and I feel better about my decision too!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.