ficm sync and icp problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ficm sync and icp problems

Hey folks,

05 350 died (like I turned off the key) and now I have no ICP @ crank and the FICM is not in "sync" according to the MODIS.

I understand the ICP is an issue I will have to address but why would the FICM not be in sync? No codes on KOEO or in memory and I thought for sure I'd have a code for low ICP @ crank and something for the FICM.

Would this truck default to a full value on the ICP if the ICP sensor was disconnected? Seems like I remember something about that, just wanted to check.

Need a bit of help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
if you unplug the icp it will default and allow the engine to start if you actually have icp pressure, but the sensor is reading incorrect. ficm sync and pcm sync are the combination of signals sent to the pcm from the crank and camshaft position sensors. from there the pcm sends the crank and cam signals to the ficm, where the ficm determines when and what injector to fire. if you have a cmp or ckp sensor or tone ring issue you will not have sync, if the air gap between the sensors and there respective tone rings/exciter ring you wont have sync, sometimes rust can build up behind the sensor and the block and cause issues. ive had harness's and connectors on these sensors cause issues as well. the dealer can do a diesel cam/crank timing graph on the ids with the ossiloscope.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the reply! I do have a tach that is reading cranking RPM's and I can't remember if the CMP sensor was reading a fault; I will check. I only had a second to check out the ICP sensor test (pulling the plug) and it didn't start. Cold as a coal miner's you know what this morning so the batts were dropping and I had a stupid hummer to lift so I didn't get back at it.

Tomorrow I'll be running the air leak test and checking whether or not the CMP sensor has a fault according to the MODIS. I paid a crap load for that tool and I hope it will lead me in the right direction!!!!

Thanks again MasterTech for the advice.

One more things to add..... I have been around these 6.0's a bit and it seems as though the injectors make a strongly audible run-through at "key on." This thing at key on: injectors begin to "buzz" kinda weak then come on a bit stronger although not as strong as it seems most 6 leakers do. Hoping that may strike a bell in some of the techs on the forum
Old 02-01-2010, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrotstihs View Post
One more things to add..... I have been around these 6.0's a bit and it seems as though the injectors make a strongly audible run-through at "key on." This thing at key on: injectors begin to "buzz" kinda weak then come on a bit stronger although not as strong as it seems most 6 leakers do. Hoping that may strike a bell in some of the techs on the forum
That is USUALLY a sign that the FICM is on its last legs of life. However, the latest most current calibration level has the injectors buzzing at a much quieter frequency during key-on, than previous strategies. So for those of you who have the most current calibration level on your PCM, do not worry if it sounds much quieter than you're used to, when you key-on, it's normal.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

Anything that the IDS can do to test the FICM off of the truck?
Old 02-02-2010, 05:38 AM
Banned

it needs to be on the truck for the ids to do anything.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Premium Member

Removed the IPR and it had a hole punched in the screen. Installed a new one and started the truck! Kinda figured that was the deal but as I was putting the turbo back on it sounded like BB's rolling around inside.

Removed the exhaust-side housing and found the impeller was contacting the veins for some time as there were holes busted in the flats of the veins and a chipped up impeller Where does it end with these things??? On goes a new turbo tomorrow. BTW 80K miles driven NICELY!

Thanks for the help and I hope this actually fixes the initial problem of startup, weak acceleration in park, then dies shortly after. 99% engine load about the time it dies

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:41 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Glad you got it taken care of! Our techs really know their stuff!
Old 02-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Banned

good deal, just for furture referance, if you had a hole punched through the ipr screen, then I would remove the oil cooler and inspect the filtter screen under it, more than likely its torn which allow whatever it was that blew a hole in your ipr to pass through. the screen is cheap, its just labor intensive. the hpop is feed from the oil cooler reservior.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Premium Member

Chit!!! I'm not a spiritual man but this morning I had a vision of me cussing this truck! Turbo on, ran the truck and it fell on its face.

Pinout data on the truck in hand I went to inspecting the data I received and I have some crazy stuff going on.
NO codes
99% engine load,
70% IPR,
2.8v ICP sensor,
FICM sync'd 48.5v w/13.5v
CMP/CKP sync'd
EBP @ 55 psi (with the new and old turbo and exhaust removed in front of Cat)
ICP @ 2800 ish psi actual (dies with the ICP sensor disconnected too)
MAF out of pinout values
Baro out of pinout values
etc....... All of these values are showing right about the time the truck is dying.
I'm looking for key on, @ idle, and @ high idle values. Never really gets to the high idle

I'm not broken yet but this truck went to the dealership to get it on the IDS (via nice tow rope ) I had turned the key on with the IPR, and the FICM disconnected before I had installed the turbo and we had some memory codes. Didn't clear them before the trip to the dealership.

Got a call an hour later stating that the FICM was bad for sure and I had em replace it. Went to pickup the truck and after conversating with the service writer (know him pretty well) I went to drive the truck out of the service bay and it dies the same way it did before. Turns out they didn't test drive the truck and just used the memory codes to diag the FICM. That overly-priced component will be going back. More diag time on monday.

I know it's hard to diagnose a problem like this on a forum, but my co-workers are tired of talking powerstroke with me and I just need a place to vent I'm surely enjoying all of the advice as it gives me hope that the damn thing will run again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.