2006 F350 6.0 L Diesel - Poor Gas Mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 08:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2006 F350 6.0 L Diesel - Poor Gas Mileage

I just recently purchase a 2006 F350 Diesel 4X4 Larriat with 11,200 Miles (I now have 12,900) and of course noticed right away the poor mileage (started out at 8, now up to 10-11). I had to bring th truck back to the dealer for his normal inspection (I bought the truck the day it was traded in by its original owner) and asked that they do a full check and make sure the truck was operating at normal factory settings. I was informed the truck ran perfect and it does run good and gas mileage can range on these trucks from 10-20 MPG which seems odd to me. I have a single axle with 3:73 Gears, Super Crew Cab, and short bed.

What should I get for gas Mileage and what can I do to increase my Mileage? No - I do drive it easy. It's been really cold and I allow the truck to warm up when I start it (5 -7 Minutes) cause its is very cold blooded and seems like it does not want to go very well when its cold.

Concern Owner
JAS2006F350
Jim

Thanks everyone for any responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 08:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to troid123
gas mileage?? I hope you are putting diesel & not gas in your truck, that would really mess with you mileage. Anyway, for improved power & mileage I would recommend an SCT tuner & exhaust.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:23 AM
Premium Member

I have a 2006 f250 with bigger tires on and in the winter months I average around 10-12mpg. I do know that my fuel mileage went up as the motor "broke in". The extra idle time will effect your mileage a lot. I am not too sure where you live but if the gas stations around you are using the winter blend of diesel, that will be a contributing factor also.

As for a way to increase, a tuner(hopefuly with gauges and exhaust) will help if you can keep your foot out of it. For reference, in the summer months before I got my sct, I would get 13-14mpg. With the sct on extreme street and when I can keep my foot out of it for a long enough time I can get upwards of 17 on the highway.

On a side not, are you hand calculating or going by the computer?
Old 01-31-2010, 08:29 AM
one day at a time

Some of the problem is just a part of life in the midwestern winter with the blended fuel. As cold as it's been around here a lot of places are blending 30-40% #1 fuel in which makes less power and kills your mileage a bit, but saves you from gelling up 90% of the time. The warm up time required also burns a lot of fuel when it's running around 0* on the thermometer. If you drive even a portion of your miles in a city/town environment it will add in too. I'm only a couple of hours west of you and I've only been getting 12-13 mpg at best the last few months. In the summer time I average 17-18 mpg's with the same kind of driving. Nothing but highway I can see 20. I do change my files on my SCT for winter and summer driving.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:30 AM

like others have mentioned letting the truck warm up daily consumes a good bit of fuel. however its better to waste some fuel letting it warm up then to take off on a cold engine.. im not sure what oil you are running. more than likely the way you say its cold blooded its running 15w-40. on your next oil change switch over to a 5w-40 synthetic. it will make a huge difference on your cold starts. winter months are a bad time to worry about fuel economy with the combination of longer warm up times and winter blend fuel. wait till the weather warms up to even begin figuring MPG's
Old 01-31-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
. I do change my files on my SCT for winter and summer driving.
you have winter and summer tunes???
Old 02-01-2010, 05:03 AM
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK_PSTROKE View Post
you have winter and summer tunes???
I run a race file when the weather warms up and just a mild towing file when the temps get down below freezing. It's easier on the start ups. The race file smokes like a train on a cold start in 0* weather.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu873 View Post
I run a race file when the weather warms up and just a mild towing file when the temps get down below freezing. It's easier on the start ups. The race file smokes like a train on a cold start in 0* weather.
ok i might have to try this also
Old 02-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks everyone for your responses!
JAS2006F350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.