Coastie in distress! My truck is running like crap. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coastie in distress! My truck is running like crap.

Alright fellas and ladies if you are on here too. (dont want to offend anyone. lol.)

Okay my truck has been progressly began to run like crapl. First it started with my truck hunting, then I changed my fuel filters and air filter. No change. Now a few months later my truck will shut off sometimes when i am city driving. It seems like my injectors are dropping out and the come back in. It will stump then catch itself then a puff of black smoke and will continue to smoke for a minute or two. Oh yeah my check engine light is on. Now the funny thing is when I am pulling the boat or on the highway it runs like a champ. Any suggestions! I am thinking the EGR. Please HELP! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gairk
Alright fellas and ladies if you are on here too. (dont want to offend anyone. lol.)

Okay my truck has been progressly began to run like crapl. First it started with my truck hunting, then I changed my fuel filters and air filter. No change. Now a few months later my truck will shut off sometimes when i am city driving. It seems like my injectors are dropping out and the come back in. It will stump then catch itself then a puff of black smoke and will continue to smoke for a minute or two. Oh yeah my check engine light is on. Now the funny thing is when I am pulling the boat or on the highway it runs like a champ. Any suggestions! I am thinking the EGR. Please HELP! Thanks.
could be a lot of things....could be a bad EBP sensor....could be a bad injector or two....could be EGR related.....and also there was some issues with wiring chaffing on the early build trucks.....has your truck had all the recalls done???? and whats your current milage.....and have you pulled the code???
Old 03-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks!

Yeah I pulled the code P2285. ICP low value. I looked around the internet and there was a TSB:

ICP/EBP Sensor Repair Kit:
Both PowerStroke engines may exhibit codes related to the ICP(7.3: P1280; 6.0: P2285) and/or EBP sensors (P0472). If these codes are present, clear them. Start the engine and wiggle the sensor connector that matches the stored code. If the code returns, replace the sensr connector--P/N 3C3Z-12224-BA for 94-96; 3C3Z-12224-AA for 97-2004. Broadcast Message 1078/SSM #17573.

I did it and it works. The truck stop bucking. I will try to clear the code tomorrow. If it doesnt clear i wll replace the sensor. I will keep you updated. Thanks again!
Old 03-21-2006, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gairk
Yeah I pulled the code P2285. ICP low value. I looked around the internet and there was a TSB:

ICP/EBP Sensor Repair Kit:
Both PowerStroke engines may exhibit codes related to the ICP(7.3: P1280; 6.0: P2285) and/or EBP sensors (P0472). If these codes are present, clear them. Start the engine and wiggle the sensor connector that matches the stored code. If the code returns, replace the sensr connector--P/N 3C3Z-12224-BA for 94-96; 3C3Z-12224-AA for 97-2004. Broadcast Message 1078/SSM #17573.

I did it and it works. The truck stop bucking. I will try to clear the code tomorrow. If it doesnt clear i wll replace the sensor. I will keep you updated. Thanks again!
its not the sensor thats the problem....its the connector....you actually have to splice a new connector in....and you have to be very carefull to match the wires up right cause the new connector is not color coded....you just have to go by what wire goes to what pin.......Marc
Old 03-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks again!

Yeah correct the connector. I know it will be fun. I am going to order the kit because I think wiggling the connector was temporary fix. Marc great appreciate your feedback.

Gairk
Old 03-22-2006, 02:54 AM
Gun Nut

Send a message via AIM to Rodslinger
Welcome Gairk and please keep us posted.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Have to replace the connector!

Rod,

Looks like I am going to replace sensor! I am going to try one trick to get me by for a week or so. I am going to use diolectric compound and see if it makes a good connection. What do you think?
Old 03-26-2006, 06:54 AM
Banned

if you get the ford sensor connector kit.....it actually comes with a small tube if di-electric with it and it would be a very good idea to use some.......they actually say in the recall and tsb info (depending on why your replacing it)...........that in all the reasons for replacing it.......you should pack her with some di -electric grease............Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.