03' 6.0 problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03' 6.0 problems

I have a 2003 6.0 powerstroke. About 2 weeks ago I had to take it back to Ford due to sudden and excessive loss of power and terrible shifting. When I got the truck back they told me they had rebuilt the turbo cause the veins were stuck in it. The truck ran great for about a week and now its having more problems. At 1600-2100 rpms you can hear the tubo surging and its started to loose a little bit of power. Its showing codes P0402 (excessive egr flow), P132B ( Manufacturer control Ignition control or misfire), and P2285( injector control pressure sensor low). I dont know what half of this means or what to start fixing. This is my first diesel. Ive added some performance parts recently ( flowpro 4" turbo back exhaust, Afe stage 2 induction kit, and a Quadzilla Xzillerator 120 hp programmer) and am wondering if one of these mods is causing my problems. Do I need to take it back to Ford or is this something I can fix myself ? Any help or suggestions is really appreciated.
Thanks
Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 05:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh boy, I hope you don't have the same problem I did...

I had a similar problem with my 03 Excursion. Eventually the mechanic at Ford said that with the 03 6.0L and early 04 6.0L, there was a "recall" that came out and required them to "flash" the ECM. This flash disabled the ability for the computer to "learn" if there is any aftermarket parts that effect the airflow in or out of the engine. So if it goes into learning mode it will start having problems. This all sounds really weird, but it truly was the problem on mine. The addition of your aftermarket parts may have started the problem.

A quick way to test this is to disconnect your battery(ies) for about 5 minutes, hook them back up and see if you are still having problems. If you are, it is not what I experienced and continue seeking help. If it runs fine, drive it around for just a bit and then let it sit and idle for at least 10 minutes. This will put it into the learning mode. If, after idling for at least 10 minutes, you drive it and it is having problems again, then you have the problem I had and I will tell you what I had to do to fix it.

Good luck!
Wigs
Old 04-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you or Ford cleaned the egr valve? If not, I would, they can get pretty dirty and cause problems that you are describing. The p2285 code could mean your ICP sensor is bad maybe from oil contamination and if so needs to be replaced. Both of these things are items that would be covered under the 100,000 mile warranty. If you are still within the warranty, I'd take it in but make sure and set it back to stock.
Old 04-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When I took it to Ford a couple of weeks ago they did reflash the computer and some other small things that they said were recalled. The weird thing is that they tested the EGR and everything passed. Id never had the EGR code till a couple days after I got it back from Ford. I hate to admit it, but as far as the injector and ignition control codes, that just started the other night after "ragging" the hell out of the truck a few times. It was runnin great even with the EGR code, but now that the other two code are on there it runs ok but the turbo surges, has bad throttle response and gas mileage.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 PM
SMOKE ROLLER

This does sound like EGR problems. I just unplugged mine and the throttle response and gas mileage improved greatly...
Old 04-05-2007, 07:20 PM

I look aft er maintenence and repairs for a construction company that has nothing but 6.0 liter diesel superduty trucks and the egr valves are such a problem that we changed our service program and started removing and cleaning the valves every service. It sounds like the same egr problem recurring for you. It wouldn't hurt to remove the two bolts and pop the valve out and see if it is completely carbon fouled or stuck open.(it only takes a couple of minutes)
Old 04-05-2007, 10:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
the p132b is a result of the 06E17 flash that was "recalled" for your truck. it is most likely do to your exhaust and afe kit. I have the same code but my truck runs just fine. The CEL is set by this code but mine has been intermitten(sp) and will turn on and off on it's own. I don't have any other input about the injector or egt issue but the 132b could be a number of things. I suggest getting the other two codes taken care of before worrying about the 132b. It could be the truck being too sensitive to the air flow you have after the flash. good luck man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.