6.0 Turbo Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Turbo Problems

Hey guys,

Has Ford come up with a solution to the turbo problems with the 6.0 Turbo engine? Does anyone know what's causing these failures? Does Ford? Sounds like they don't want to fix the problem - just give you another turbo and send you on your way.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-03-2007, 09:59 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: central coast, california
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightmedic View Post
Hey guys,

Has Ford come up with a solution to the turbo problems with the 6.0 Turbo engine? Does anyone know what's causing these failures? Does Ford? Sounds like they don't want to fix the problem - just give you another turbo and send you on your way.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Michael
about 80% of the problems are actually being caused by the customers. The failures are due to driving habbits. A turbo that doesnt get driven hard to clean the carbon out, or a truck that doesnt get driven often enough and the exhaust housing rusts causes the turbo to bind. The solution ford has come up with to the carbon is cleaning them....ive even been cleaning the rusted ones really good. Every turbo i have cleaned has spooled up better than a brand new one and i have not had one come back with problems.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-03-2007, 10:02 AM
ADMIN AND TECH


 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: winston salem north carolina
Posts: 9,242
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the turbo is not a bad design , most of the problem is most people do not use the turbo thru its full range enough and causes it to stick, never see a turbo problem with a heavy vehicle such as 550 with a crane or something because they are using that turbo thru its full range all the time ,sunday driving is the problem we see with most turbos , or people that have a second vehicle and never drive there truck all the time so therefore the turbo sticks, then they hook to a trailer to go to the lake and it wont pul good cause the truck has sat for a month , turbo stuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 04-03-2007, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I don't see this as an issue ...we are running F-350 ambulances and we have replaced two turbos. If you research...it appears the design from Ford is causing increase heat build up which causes these to fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: central coast, california
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightmedic View Post
I don't see this as an issue ...we are running F-350 ambulances and we have replaced two turbos. If you research...it appears the design from Ford is causing increase heat build up which causes these to fail.
excess idle time builds carbon in them as well.....increased heat would actually help these turbos.....also....ford doesnt design or build the turbo, garret does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
can you tell me what your recommendation would be then... obviously we have long idle times..in some cases. Off often do we need to tear these down to clean them out ?? Anything we can put in to help break down this carbon? Any other recommendations would be helpful. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: central coast, california
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightmedic View Post
can you tell me what your recommendation would be then... obviously we have long idle times..in some cases. Off often do we need to tear these down to clean them out ?? Anything we can put in to help break down this carbon? Any other recommendations would be helpful. Thank you.
splitting them and cleaning them would be a great idea. first of all you do remove some metal and loosen tolerances.....when you go back together, VERY VERY thinly sprean some anti-sieze compound. If there is enough to build up into a deposit it will also cause a bind...so when i say thin i mean put it on with your finger and wipe it on so thin you can barely see it...

another thing that would help is putting in a high idle controller....anytime it idles for an extended period bump it up to high idle and that should help it as well.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 04-03-2007, 11:13 AM
ADMIN AND TECH


 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: winston salem north carolina
Posts: 9,242
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
thanks marc for seeing it the way i do first , second all the ambulances we work on generaly have high idle mode when accessories in back are on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 04-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Serving Our Country!
 

Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 119
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
about 80% of the problems are actually being caused by the customers. The failures are due to driving habbits. A turbo that doesnt get driven hard to clean the carbon out, or a truck that doesnt get driven often enough and the exhaust housing rusts causes the turbo to bind. The solution ford has come up with to the carbon is cleaning them....ive even been cleaning the rusted ones really good. Every turbo i have cleaned has spooled up better than a brand new one and i have not had one come back with problems.....
Hey Marc,

I've heard people say that if you really floored it about once a week (say while merging onto the freeway), that this is a good way to burn out/clean out all the carbon. Would this help me to minimize any future problems along these lines with my turbo?

Jerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 04-03-2007, 12:07 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: central coast, california
Posts: 0
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamlin164 View Post
Hey Marc,

I've heard people say that if you really floored it about once a week (say while merging onto the freeway), that this is a good way to burn out/clean out all the carbon. Would this help me to minimize any future problems along these lines with my turbo?

Jerry
no...these trucks are meant to be pulling and worked....once or twice a week isnt enough...they need to be driven hard all the time if they arent pulling....those are the ones with the least problems...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 04:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors