NEED ADVICE WHITE SMOKE WITH OIL - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
NEED ADVICE WHITE SMOKE WITH OIL

I AM PRETTY SURE MY EGR COOLER IS LEAKING IN MY F250 2004. ON START UPS I GET WHITE SMOKE THAT SMELLS LIKE ANTIFREEZE. IT DID THIS A FEW TIMES BUT ON ON THE LAST TRIP THE SMOKE DID NOT CLEAR UP AND WHEN PARKED BLACK MOTOR OIL WAS LEAKING FROM THE MUFFLER. I HAVE PARKED THE TRUCK AND NOW TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO. I LOVE THE TRUCK BUT BASED ON COST ESTIMATES CAN'T AFFORD TO HAVE FORD WORK ON IT. IT'S GOT ABOUT 140,000 MILES ON IT... SO NO WARRANTY.

HERE IS MY PLAN. REMOVE THE EGR COOLER AND VALVE AS DETAILED IN THIS FORUM. WITH SOME HELP FROM YOU GUYS FIGURE OUT THE OIL PROBLEM AND DO WHATEVER REQUIRED TO FIX IT AND ANYTHING ELSE YOU GUYS SAY TO DO TO MAKE THIS TRUCK DEPENDABLE. WHERE CAN YOU GET PROCEDURES AND REASONABLY PRICED PARTS? MY LABOR IS FREE BUT WHAT COST SHOULD I EXPECT FOR PARTS? JUST NEED SOME ADVICE AND A LITTLE ENCORAGEMENT TO HAVE THE GUTS TO TACKLE IT.

THANKS
SKIPJACK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 08:54 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Is this an early-build 2004 (with 2003 engine) or a late-build 2004 (with 2004 engine)? I would be inclined to believe your EGR cooler has failed by your description, so I'm ready to believe it to be a late-build 2004, since I have yet to replace ONE 2003 model year EGR cooler out of the thousands on 2004 to 2007 model year coolers that I have replaced so far.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

HOW DO I TELL???
Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPJACK View Post
HOW DO I TELL???
Look at the data plate on your passenger side valve cover, just behind the oil filler neck (the one with A325). That will identify whether you have a 2003 engine or 2004 engine. Even simpler, would be to look for a three wire sensor beside the GPCM at the front of the passenger side valve cover. This would be the ICP sensor, if yours is equipped with a 2004 engine. If it's not, the sensor is under the turbo at the back of the engine, which identifies it as a 2003 engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.