Please Help with my 6.0... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please Help with my 6.0...

Looking for some wise opinions on my 2004 6.0 F-350 ( 209K miles ) all stock( for now anyways ) .

Ran like a top until about a month or two ago...started with just small stutters/stumbles when accelerating and now does it more often/puffs some white smoke when it happens as well. Really drives like crap, especially when accelerating from a stop or almost stop, it just stumbles and puffs some white smoke ( and i could have swore I saw a small amount of blue smoke last night ), so I let off and get back on it and it goes for a bit.

Figured the EGR valve, so I took it out and cleaned it - it was stuck and nasty. Seemed to fix it for a day or two, then same problems. Cleaned it again, that worked for 1/2-1 day or so.

So I am looking at buying a new EGR tomorrow, but thought i'd ask for some assistance here first just in case my money will be spent some where better.

1) Should I just order a new EGR valve, or get the Sinister EGR Delete ? Pros and cons ? Sinister one is all I can afford at this time.

2) Or whats the chance i have something else wrong here ? I also smelled since this came up the exhaust smells different, has a very light burnt or maybe coolent smell - not sure what that could mean ?

3) Also I just noticed i have a coolent leak, haven't tracked it down yet, but it's dripping under the truck, underneath where the middle console is in the front seat area - i'm hopeing this is just a line/hose issue - any opinions ?

Sorry for the long post, this truck is my baby and yet so very unfamilar - i only have experience with older vehicles ( used to even be a mechanic back in the day ), this is my first nice/new one. I'm all ears - Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if i am not mistaken, the egr valve can cause surging and cause the truck to drive bad.
You can try unplugging the egr when the key is off(not running) That may make it run better if its all clogged or screwed up.
I dont think the antifreeze smell in the exhaust or any fluid issue is from the egr valve.
I would think more likely to be the egr/oil cooler. That may be your leak too(the external leak) Check the oil? does it still look normal? or like chocalate milk?
Antifreeze degas tank still look good? Any foreign substance in there?

Last edited by melmount; 01-05-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I hope it is just the egr valve...

Thanks for your reply!

The oil looks normal, but does have a very slight burnt smell, it is due for a change as well. Could this indicate something ?

The tank looks normal, and i just looked more for where it could be leaking - still no luck, looks like I may have to take the passenger side inner fender out to find it - will do that when the temp gets above 0. The engine looks dry though, so i'm hopeing it's not heads/head gaskets ???
Old 01-05-2010, 01:15 PM

try unplugging it seeif it runs better. that may solve that issue and tell you egr is bad. The egr/oil cooler will be solved with a delete kit. Thats on pass side. They get old or hot and the solder comes loose. The hot exhaust gases really do a number on the factory coolers. If thats bad it can cause fluid to get to the egr valve and get burnt out the exhaust. If thats what it is its not the end of the world. You need to have it checked out somehow to verify if its the egr/oil cooler. If so delete it all.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:16 PM
I don't know nuttin....

If your going to do anything EGR related, get the a delete kit.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:19 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Or the Bulletproof EGR and oil coolers If you have emissions laws where you're at
Old 01-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No laws that i'm aware of - what all is needed for the delete kit ? Is it really just the kit i'd need ( i'm looking at the sinister one as thats in my budget ), or will I need a tuner and/or other things ? Is this something I can do myself with the instructions provided ?

So doing the delete kit will by pass the egr valve and cooler/oil cooler so I won't have to replace them ?

And you would all agree to spend $300 on the kit vs. $179 for just the egr valve ?

melmount - when you say unplugg it, you just mean to unplug the egr valve but leave it in and take the truck for a cruise right ? If so i'll do that, i wasn't sure if that was ok to do or not.

Thank you all so much!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:51 PM

I spent 600$ on my kit a year ago, they have come down alot in price.
Yes it is worth it.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:58 PM

yep i have the sinister kit. its a good kit. you cant go wrong with the sinister or rcd kit! i would delete the egr before replacing any parts on it. imo
Old 01-05-2010, 03:22 PM

yes, make sure the truck is off. Unplug the wires from the top of the egr. Go drive the truck.
It might throw a code, dont worry about it. A cel light is not a huge deal. If the light is steady on its emissions related. if it blinking you need to pay attention to it.
Some trucks it just stores a code but no light. Others it throws the light.
No biggie.
If you delete the whole egr/oil coolers and the egr its a great way to go.
That will stillthrow the code andor light. Custom tuners will make that go away but not neccessary unless you go thru emissions checks or something. But for the time being unplug it see if it runs better. It may very well run better.
Wont fix a leak, or a cooler thats coming apart. The leak on the ground is not as bad as coolant going thru the cylinders. Too much coolant and you hydrolock a cylinder possibly.
Odviously dont over heat the truck, keep coolant in it.
unplug it and post up what happened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.