FICM voltage corrected, now it surges/stalls??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 03:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM voltage corrected, now it surges/stalls???

Title says it all. Truck was dead in the driveway last couple days. Checked the FICM per Dr Quads write up. Found 21V. No good. Did the re-solder per the instructions. Re-tested, 48V. Sweet.

Took it for a ride, topped off the tank. Let it sit for about 2 hrs. Went back out to go to the gym, nada. She starts, chugs/surges/misses, what ever you want to call it. Give it throttle, barely responds, and stalls. Restarts as many times as you want.

Judging by a search, it seems like the ICP sensor is at fault here. No check engine light. All the symptoms match up to other peoples previous problems.

I just finished doing studs, EGR delete, and a new exhaust in my driveway a week ago. Before doing the job, she would start up no problem, but ran rough for 2-3 seconds before smoothing out, with a little black smoke. Ever since doing the studs, she wont start. Is it possible, by removing the valve cover, without taking the sensor off, and installing the valve cover with the sensor still on, I could have mis-aligned something? Or damaged the sensor? Or will the sensor drop back in place with the valve cover no problem?

Either way, tomorrow morning I think I am heading to the dealer to get a sensor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Have you rechecked to voltage on the ficm after the no start?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:40 PM

No I have not. Too cold and dark to check tonight. I may recheck in the morning. I was supposed to go back to work tomorrow after a 2 week break. Looks like Im calling in a delayed start for myself tomorrow.

In the am, I guess Ill recheck the voltage. If the voltage is good, try and get an ICP from the dealer. If voltage is no good. Im calling a tow truck. Drop it at the dealer.

Just went back outside to try and start again. This time, long crank, no start, no stumble. WTF. Im starting to think I should have bought a Chevy...........never thought Id say that.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:42 AM

I had a similar experience -- got the FICM fixed and the truck ran worse. Turns out I had several bad injectors.

I replaced all 8 and truck runs like a champ now (knock on wood).
Old 01-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You need to borrow a known good FICM and see if the truck starts up. Got any buddies locally willing to help? Mine shows good voltage but still doesn't work when it gets cold. I can heat the FICM up by bringing it inside (in the oven on 100 degrees) and throw it back in the truck and starts right up. Once it's cold again I can't get it to start.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-F250 View Post
You need to borrow a known good FICM and see if the truck starts up. Got any buddies locally willing to help? Mine shows good voltage but still doesn't work when it gets cold. I can heat the FICM up by bringing it inside (in the oven on 100 degrees) and throw it back in the truck and starts right up. Once it's cold again I can't get it to start.
Sounds like there is still a bad solder joint or a cracked board.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:23 PM

I have roadside coverage on my insurance. Had the truck towed to the dealer this am. I gave the service guy my name, and he goes-

"Oh yeah, your Bobbys kid! I used to work with him at Stamford Motors back in the 70's/80's! Man, you couldnt have come at a worse time, my Powerstroke techs are backed up. But Ill tell you what, you have a no start issue, which I consider an emergency. Call your tow company, get it here, and we will look at it first thing tomorrow morning. Oh, and judging by your VIN, you still have 6 months left on the Ford Powerstroke warranty. We should be able to get you out of here for $100 plus tax for your deductible."

Sweet. I have never really dealt with service writers, I just hear horror stories. I work at a dealership (Yamaha Outboards), I do service writing, and all the big engine overhauls/warranty work. I try to be as fair as possible, and understanding. This is nice to see the favor returned my direction. Karma maybe???

I havent heard from them yet. So I shouldnt get ahead of myself here. Another coincidence- my friend stopped by my shop today. He has an 06 F350. He dropped his off yesterday for the same problem. His is bone stock. Mostly used as a work truck.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:28 PM

Any tips or advice on anything I should mention to the dealer while its there?
Old 01-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRaZy8 View Post
Any tips or advice on anything I should mention to the dealer while its there?
I'd say ANYTHING you can think of that's covered that bothers you in the least. Get everything (TCM, PCM, FICM) flashed to the latest version. It will change your strategy, so it will require a new tune.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:22 PM

What do you mean it will change my strategy? And are you referring to the stock tune? I dont have a tuner on the truck. No plans for one either.

I did the EGR delete, studs, oil cooler, coolant filter, exhaust, and gauges to make the truck more reliable. Not more powerful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.