UNPLUGGING INJECTORS AND RUNNING ENGINE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 11:32 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
UNPLUGGING INJECTORS AND RUNNING ENGINE

I have the demon 03 6.0. It is missing and blowing black smoke. I am now told, it may have an injector tip blowed off. Can unplug 1 injector at a time, and run the the engine, (to see which injector disconnect), stops the black smoke? Will this damage the injector control unit, to run with one injector unplugged?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If the tip is blown off an injector, disconnecting it won't make it any better.

And I would advise against unplugging injectors while the engine is running.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Banned

If a tip is blown off, and just squirting raw fuel into a cylinder, unplugging that injector would stop it from funtioning, thus stopping the fuel to that cylinder. Correct? If the spool valve does not open, then the high pressure oil cannot force the plunger down, to inject the fuel into the cylinder? All I want to do, is locate the guilty injector. And you are correct, I was gonna unplug the injectors one at a time, and restart the engine, until I located the blown injector. However, I was worried about blowing the injector control unit, with this proceedure. You know, high voltage feedback through the control unit. At these prices, a feller cannot afford to break too many parts.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

for what your trying to do..i would pay the money ( $50-$100) and take it to the dealer and have them plug in there scanner..im pretty sure you can do a buzz test or somthing like that and it will tell them which injector(s) may be bad..JMO
Old 12-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Banned

Its already been to ford, and 288 bucks later, they tell me it needs 5 injectors. I am sorry, I cannot believe 5 injectors failed all at one time. The buzz test showed everything working normally(injector wise). But the buzz test only test the eletricial side of the injector. It does not test the mechanicial side, such as poppet valve, metering valve, open and closing pressures... People seem to think, that the computer tells all. All it can really do is test the eletricial parts. Basically you have a regular injector, and instead of a cam operated pushrod forcing the plunger down and pushing fuel through the nipple, your using hydrolic oil pressure to force the plunger down and force fuel through the nipple. If the nipple is gone, you get a stream of fuel, instead of a burnable mist in that cylinder. How does a buzz test tell me anything about the mechanicial funtion of these injectors? I mean, the coils on top of the injectors will still open and close, and allow the high pressure oil into the plunger chamber. All a buzz test does, is tell me if those coils are funtioning properly. Lets get back to basics, and stop allowing the ford fortune tellers with their high priced crystal ball, pull cash out of our pockets. I am an ase mastertech, retired for 12 years, so i am somewhat in-experienced on the computer systems. But looking at the cutaway drawings of the injectors, they are same design as an old cat, cummins..., with the exception of the coil system on top. Back in the 80's, when gm came out with the 5.7 diesel, the public got a class action lawsuit against gm, and forced them to repair their cars. Seems like the 6.0 owners could take a lesson from that.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:59 PM

Yeah a buzz test won't tell you what you want to know. But the Ford IDS can do an injector cutout test. You can watch the engine speed and fuel rate as you cut out injectors and compare the readings to diagnose weak injectors.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:35 PM

seems like your pretty set on how you want to test your system so why dont you go do that . I'm sorry you think ford is out to screw you but I have been properly trained on how to work on these motors and how your saying to do the testing is just not right . yes it is posssible for 5 injectors to go it once . have you mesaured fuel pressures to the upper filter ? lower filter , filter restriction , fuel pump flow . if low fuel pressure is created the injectors on the pass side bank are the first to go it can take out all four easly . if your going to do it your own way please dont be bashing the repair process because YOU think it's wrong. i have spent a lot of time being trained how diag and properly repair these motors

Last edited by sportsman500; 01-01-2010 at 06:51 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:10 PM
Banned

First off, thanks to the people who have tried to help, your good advise is appreciated. Secondly and to the attention of Mr sportsman, I tell it like it is, you don't like it, stay off my thread!!!! I don't know what kind of drugs your on, but you did not complete one proper sentence, and the spelling is worse. If you completed more than the ninth grade, and you are a ford tech, good for you!!! My anger is not aimed at the techs. It is aimed at the guys who rob me, and pay the techs 11 bucks an hour!!! I cannot wait for the entire car industy to go bust. All of them should. 2 nights ago on PBS tv, one of fords top execs was on talking about profit. He made this statement, "ON A $55,000.00 EXCURSION, FORD STICKS $S26,500.00 IN THEIR POCKETS, THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE WHAT THE DEALER MAKES" This is proffit above and beyond all costs of manufactoring. Do you know of any other product made today, that allows the producer to make 100% profit? Why do you think the overseas people are coming to our country, building better cars, selling them for less, and making millions? They are not stupid, greedy idiots!!!!! They use us like cattle, build a product that gives so much trouble it has to be replaced when the warrenty expires...
I bought a brand new f-150 lariat (loaded to the gills) truck in 1979. Paid 4200.00 cash and drove the truck off the showroom floor. I was earning 14.75 an hour, as a front end tech for t and t auto and tire in liberty texas and gas was .68 cents a gallon.
Now that same truck is 46,000, I'll bet you don't make 13.00 an hour, and gas is 3 bucks a gallon. What has happened? Corporate america!!!! CA says, work the consumer for everything you can get, overtax him, cheat him on the interest rates, steal his equity in everything. A hungry consumer, a broke consumer is a consumer we can control. WE can force him to jump through our loops, because he has no choice, none!!!!
bill clinton, allowed our 13 oil companies to consolidate down to 2 (no more price competetion), he also allow the lending laws to be rewritten so all banks could take all the first 33% of all payments made to them as profit, and not return it if it was paid off early, refinanced, or sold. Instead of taking just a percentage of our first 33%, they take it all, you build no equity. Hence gap insurance, Inflated home values. This means if you have a 7 year note on a car, the first 2 years, you build no equity in it, the lender takes it all as their profit. If you keep it the full 7 years, then it makes no differance, but if you trade in 2 or 3 years, you owe almost what you did when you bought the unit. The lenders do not refund their profit if you end the note early. you pay the 7 YEARS intrest, wheather you use it or not. A 30 year house morgage is extreme. The bank takes the first 10 years for their profit. So how do the banks stop people from killing the bankers, when in 7 years(the average homeowner needs new paper every 7 years), and 200,000 dollars later, the homeowner discovers he still owes what he gave for his house. How does a banker justify stealing a quarter of a million dollars from you? He artificially inflates the value of your home 200,000 dollars!!!! The banks own the apprasers. been there done that.
Its time the cattle sent a message to C.A., we have had enough!!! I am 59, too old to care, I'll be gone soon and could give a rats *** what the enslavers do to us. but you young people should get invovled, its your *** that they are working the hell out of, and you have no hope of ever having anything!!!

Last edited by KBS117; 12-31-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:49 AM

4 year dergree plus . it's a feaking message board not english class . i think you have to come back to reality here . it's not 1979 your for truck back than cant even be compared to the truck that is currently bulit. and i get payed a lot more than $11 to deal with peoples bakwords crap like yours .
Old 01-01-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

LIKE I SAID, MY ANGER IS NOT AT THE TECH'S, I CALLED FORD AND APPLIED FOR A DIESEL TECH JOB, THEY OFFERED ME 14.75 TO START. AS FAR AS MY 79, YOUR RIGHT, THEY JUST DON'T COMPARE, AS THE 460 ENGINE NOW HAS OVER 1 MILLION MILES ON IT, WILL STILL DO THE QUARTER IN 13.10 WITH STREET TIRES, AT 109 MPH, AND HAS EVER TO COST ME 2800 AT THE FORD DEALERSHIP!!!! WHAT? YOU THINK 12 COMPUTERS MAKES IT BETTER? THE ONLY THING REALLY BACKWARDS TODAY, IS THE FLOW OF OUR CASH. GEE, YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THAT MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR DEALERSHIP SOMEHOW!!!! FUNNY HOW THE BIG 3 HAVE SQUEEZED OUT THE MOM AND POP DEALERSHIPS IN RURAL AMERICA, YOU KNOW, THE ONES WHO WOULD TAKE A SHORT DEAL, AND HAD REAL TECHS IN THE SHOP? NOW ALL WE HAVE IS CORPORATE MONSTERS MAKING ONLY FULL-POP DEALS, FLEECING EVERYONE WHO COMES THROUGH THE SHOP. AND TECHS WHO HAV'NT A CLUE HOW TO FIX SOMETHING, UNLES THE GADGET IN HIS HAND TELLS HIM TO. NOT ONLY THAT, BUT YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH LYING SERICE MANAGER, WHOSE JOB IS NOTHING SHORT OF ROBBERY. THOSE GUYS SHOULD BE HANDED MASKS, WHEN BEING TRAINED FOR THEIR JOB.
ONE LAST THING, DON'T PLAY STUPID WITH ME BOY, I HAVE BEEN TO THE DEALER TRAINING CLASSES, THE SALEMAN TRAINING CLASES, AND I KNOW WHAT A SON OF A ***** IS AT THE HEART OF EVERY DEALERSHIP. MAYBE YOUR JUST TO YOUNG TO KNOW WHATS GOING ON, IN THAT CASE, STAY OFF MY THREAD!!!! BUT I RATHER THINK, YOU HAVE DECIDED TO JUST JOIN THE GROUP OF THIEVES, AND BE ONE OF THE PACK.
CAN YOU ANSWER MY ORGININAL QUESTION? CAN I UNPLUG THE INJECTORS 1 AT A TIME AND RUN THE ENGINE WITHOUT DAMAGING THE CONTROL SYSTEM FOR THE INJECTORS? OR DID I ASK A QUESTION THAT YOUR HAND HELD CRYSTAL BALL CANNOT ANSWER?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.