P2290 Code - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2009, 10:34 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
P2290 Code

I've got a 06 350 DRW and the truck died out of nowhere. Got the P2290 code and I noticed some oil spray on top of the motor just above the HPOP. It won't start on it's own but if I hit it with either it will start and I have to keep it revved above 1K rpm's for it to keep running. If I let out of it to idle the truck dies. I'm guessing it might be the STC on the HPOP? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anicely View Post
I've got a 06 350 DRW and the truck died out of nowhere. Got the P2290 code and I noticed some oil spray on top of the motor just above the HPOP. It won't start on it's own but if I hit it with either it will start and I have to keep it revved above 1K rpm's for it to keep running. If I let out of it to idle the truck dies. I'm guessing it might be the STC on the HPOP? Any help would be appreciated.
YUP.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:42 PM

De4cided to check and make sure all the simple stuff was working to provide adequate cranking and injection pressure at low rpm's and low and behold the main lead to the alternator was fried. Went ahead and replaced it, fired up the truck and kept it revved above 1k for a couple of minutes. Drove 10 miles down the road with no problems and no codes. Still need to check out where the oil spray is from. Still leaning toward STC on HPOP. Sometimes it's a simple fix, sometimes it ain't.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:30 PM

Got the P2290 again. Truck will start and run but it sounds like a sick sewing machine. Torn off the turbo and pedestal to replace the STC and the cover won't break loose. Suggestions? And, yes, all ten bolts have been removed.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:36 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by anicely View Post
Got the P2290 again. Truck will start and run but it sounds like a sick sewing machine. Torn off the turbo and pedestal to replace the STC and the cover won't break loose. Suggestions? And, yes, all ten bolts have been removed.
Spray LOTS of WD-40 (or PB blaster) onto the top of the cover between the body of the pump and the cover. Install the turbo oil drain tube into the cover, and wedge a prybar between the tube and the engine block where the pedestal mounts to break it loose. Move the prybar in a wiggling motion until it breaks loose.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:41 PM

Got the cover loose, now trying to get it out. Tight squeeze between the egr cooler and the rear heat shield. This is time consuming as hell. I've put entire motors together in less time.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 AM

Any way to get the hpop cover off without removing the exhaust return to the turbo?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:11 AM

Got everything back together. Runs fine at low idle but when I push it the engine still lunges. Guess I need to move to the IPR??? Any help would be appreciated. 2290 code only comes up after a full throttle attempt.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Check your dummy rail plugs. If you need them, the part number from Ford is -W302195.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

P2290 Code

What was the out come on your problem? I am having the same code on my 06 F350 6.0. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.