Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Running rough after new EGR (mountains)

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  rjwareagle 
#1 ·
Well, after a new egr I took off to the mountains(mistake I guess) driving up here I had a hard time on one hill. My truck sputtered and lost power. I let off and everything seemed ok. All gauges were ok. I had just filled up also and put my SCT on with x street after the EGR work. It seemed to be ok the rest of the day. Nothing out of the degas bottle or leaks. I look this morning and the degas bottle was over the full line. ( I have the new sticker that dropped the full to about half way. Just seems to be running weird today but I'm probably just paranoid. Does altitude have anything to do with tuning? I'm at a loss!!!!!!

#2 ·
I had the egr cooler and oil cooler done about 20,000 miles ago, since I just had the egr valve done, what are the symptons of the coolers going out? They did a pressure test and all last week and it was ok...

#3 ·
Your trip problem may not have anything to do with your EGR problems.
If your truck was set up for sea level conditions and then you took up into high mountains, your fuel strategys were set up useing low pressure values and the truck was just struggling to run in the thinner air. This can happen even in Gas burners.
I hope I am explaining that right. Gots to do with MAP sensor calibration.

#4 ·
I guess she will be fine when I get back to Georgia?

#6 ·
Put it back to stock and drive it in the mountains, see how she acts??
JER-1
:icon_ford:
:thumb:

#7 ·
^^ That is where I would start.

#8 ·
Thanks, last time I put it to stock the egr messed up. I'll take it easy on her and maybe it will be ok. I can tell it runs funny in thinner air.

#9 ·
Chuged again and it going up the other side of the exact mountain as first time. I went up steeper ones for sure while I was there. All gauges were a little higher( just more than normal) could not make it do it again after that. I was like a chug and then it was better. Since I'm back off the mountains (home in Georgia) everything seems fine and gauges are normal and degas bottle is fine. Just not sure about the chugging in the same spot.....

#11 ·
took it to ford. they worked on it all day. cant find a thing wrong with it..... pressure is good, egr good and all coolers are good. they are going to hook a (recorder) on it and let me drive it.... just doesnt have the a$$ that it use to have. it should make it in the mountains.... o well.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.