New charging system..low voltage..help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 03:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New charging system..low voltage..help!

Ok heres the scoop.. batts new 2 mo ago, had the first big snow storm two weeks ago and i was out pushing snow..it was about 230am the night of that crazy blizzard we had here and i noticed my lights were getting dimmer and dimmer when i would use the plow..well i plugged in my SCT and it said my batt volatge was around 10.9s 11.2s YIKES! so i assumed my 110A alt was taking a crap from all the abuse so i headed for home..

well the entire area was shut down from the storm and i needed the truck fixed quick so i just made my way to the parts store and forked over 210 bucks for a new ALT.. got it on the truck and voltage was around 13.9s consistantly.. so i figured problem fixed.. well finished up the storm and i started droping voltage again!! I then started looking into the wiring on the plow..i noticed the solinoid for the plow was getting really hot over time after using the plow.. so i took it into the dealer and the guy recommended a new solinoid and told me to clean my batt cable ends as they looked corroded.. so i bought a new heavy duty solinoid (updated version for the plow) and i took every whire off and brushed them to a shine and re-installed according to the digram for the plow.

well i also realized i had bought another 110A alt when i really wanted the 140A alt.. i went back into the parts store to get a 140A to help with the extra load from the plow..luckily they let me return the 110A and i bought the 140A for the truck..for some stupid reason it was $40 cheaper..

so that was about 2 weeks ago and everything has been just fine on the truck.. (plow off) well i put the plow on this AM in prep for the storm coming in..made sure all the controls worked since the new solinoid and everything was fine.. well driving home from work i got about a block from home and noticed my Batt light was flickering on the dash..when at idle it would come on more and as i accelerated it would fade out and flicker less..plugged in the SCT and it was reading 11.2s voltage.. (bear in mind the plow was not used today..just hung there in the off position while driving..)

obviously the plow is the number one culprit, but ive checked all the wiring for shorts etc. and everything is good.. What else could be sucking the life out of my batteries??? sorry for the lengthy post but im at a loss and need to get this solved FAST! thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

I wish I had an answer, but all I have is a to the top
Old 12-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

thanks Padre... quick update: went out with the volt meter, with the truck at idle.. now after been sitting for an hour or so.. no batt light.. truck cranked over like normal.. SCT was reading 12.9v and after a few second reached 13s. i went around and checked voltage on both batts. both batts read 13.25 v..main power lead to the plow solinoid also read 13.25v main lead off solinoid to the plow read zero. i raised the plow up.. SCT voltage went down and the consistantly read 12.6v.. checked all power leads to the plow..the main power feed to the hydro pump had zero power to it. the only power being used by the plow set-up are the running lights.. so im going to rule out the plow..

now the confusing part..the SCT read 12.6v through the OBD2 port..but when i tested both batteries with the voltmeter, they both read 13.25v.. apparently something is using power faster than the truck can produce it.. going to plug in the scanner tomarrow at work and start testing..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.