STEAM ENGINE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question STEAM ENGINE

how about this.... 2006 350 62k miles studded heads. fass fuel pump straight exhaust.i had noticed the steam in the exhaust, but with it being winter.... well a few days later it stopped.. ok whatever... went to have the oil changed... figured might as well get the radiator flushed... they pulled only 2 quarts out and put back almost what prolly 4 times amount... now its steaming again A N D there is what looks to be coolant dripping off the inside back corner of the front right inner fender... any thoughts? any help would be appreciated.i am a ford person at heart. i just dealt with 4 years of being in a dodge cause i was scared of the 6.0's i couldnt help myself anymore and got another ford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Assumeing you mean the right as being the passenger side, your heater lines are back in that corner. Ya may have a leaking line or the core itself can be leaking and comeing out the a/c drip tube. What does your temp gauge read?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yeah my bad. even before they pulled out the 2 quarts of coolant it was running fine. well i say it was. i dunno where the temp gauge is suppose to be.. it was about mid range on the gauge. maybe a little below mid ways.. i was wondering that cause it is dripping down and running off as tho i had the A/C running.i looked around where the heater hoses go into the firewall and ididnt see anything wet or leaking. so it may be the heater core. but as far as the steam. it only does it at idle when im not accelerating. of course my first thought was blown head gasket. but it idles and runs out great. thats when i remembered something about the egr coolers..the heads are studded, but i guess that doesnt mean the heads still wont leak.it sucks that i go back to a ford and fall into this. but with the mods the truck has done. i guess it was only a matter of time.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

lets say it is the EGR cooler. if i were to do a delete kit on it. its going to throw a code right? is there a way around to keep the code from triggering without a programmer?
Old 12-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok so i was wrong......rolled up under my truck this morning to get a good look. there was a puddle bout i would say 18 inches in diameter... and it is coming from the back corner of the passenger(right hand) head a steady drip from between the head and block. i dont get it... the heads have been studded.. i guess they help prevent but doesnt cure it 100%. i bought the truck not even a month ago... barely even put a thousand miles on it. 1/3 of that was driving it home from central florida... i saw the white smoke in the exhaust when i test drove it and i thought then... but i was too trusting in the dealer that they would have caught that. cause they deal with alot of diesels and such..... soooo now i am playing phone tag with them trying to get something done about it..... i bought the truck as is... but does that mean as soon as i sign the papers its all on me or dont you have like a few weeks grace period for them to back up their work... i hate to say it, but i kinda miss my dodge...
Old 12-23-2009, 12:45 PM

The Powerstrokes have a 5 year, 100k mile factory transferrable warranty through Ford automatically, so you are still covered. But with the mods...???? With the studded heads, they know the heads have been off and tampered with. If the heads were left on and head bolts replaced one by one with the studs, that spelled head gasket blowing right from the get go! I would bet a crisp C-note that the dealer would laugh you right off the lot. The only thing that you might have a shot at, is taking it to a reliable independant shop and have them diagnose and quote you a repair and then try to get the amount, or some, at least back from the dealer you bought it from.

Good luck and let us know what happens!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i got the dealer workin on it now... even though i bought it as is warranty... i havent had the truck a month i bought it the friday after thanksgiving drove it till sunday then left out of town till this past friday. so its not like i have been driving the piss out of it. i have travel orders to prove that i was gone. and no one else drove my truck. i have put 1100 miles on it but almost 400 of that was driving home...im hoping the dealer will warranty it.. i am with you, i doubt if i took it to the local ford place they would warranty it. different exhaust. intake. a FASS pump. sooooo im kinda thinking no...i took it to the ford dealer yesterday to get the keyless entry door pad code thing... and they got in to start it up and heard that pump kick on and the service writer bout freaked.... but thanks for the input. i will keep yall posted and see what happens.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:29 PM

I would look at your egr hose on the back of the motor. When it leaks it appears as if it is leaking from the head. It is either a orange "old style" or blue "new style". It is only like 2or 3 inchs long. I doubt it is a head leaking like that.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:43 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I agree 100 percent with powerhouse. If you can get ahold of a coolant pressure tester I would put about 16psi of pressure on the system with the engine off. Climb up on top of the motor and look down right about where the CAC tube connects to the turbo. Under that you will see what powerhouse said, either a orange or blue tube. That is common to leak and do exactly what you are saying. I have never had a head leak coolant externally. My money is on that tube.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i appreciate the info guys.... but its blowing white smoke and you can smell antifreeze in the exhaust and around the front of the truck as well. i thought the same as yall. it leaking externally like that.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.