Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Broke down in Byron GA loss of power and white smoke???

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  m-chan68 
#1 ·
ok, today i was pulling a 25' gooseneck empty to macon ga today. truck ran pretty good, ( programmed to stock) when i got there i picked up a 300lbs pond pipe 20' long. had a SMALL spot by the degas bottle not really enough to worry about. On the way home the trailer seemed to get heavier and heavier and then the truck lost power and began sputtering and POURING white smoke. I made it to a truck stop and call a wrecker. I called Ford and they said, oil cooler, egr/cooler heads etc.... here is my question.... Ford here in Tifton has been real good to me. There is no loss of fluid in the degas bottle, no codes on the SCT or scan guage. cranks up no problem but as soon as you give it gas sputters and white smoke. Could it be the injectors? 94,000 mile with no major problems and this is the first time I have hauled anything. Had a new egr, oil cooler and egr cooler installed about 25,000 miles ago. what do you think?

#2 ·
!!!!bump!!!!

#4 ·
boost was around 18-20ish everything was normal. water temp was around 185* trans around 155* map 28ish im at a loss. When i eased into it, it seemed to rev up but then began to sputter and smoke.....

#5 ·
Do you smell fuel or coolant from the smoke?

#6 ·
kinda a fuel smell NOT coolant, what does that mean?

#7 ·
Injector(s).

#8 ·
good so a easy fix!!! what about the spot of coolant on the degas bottle? maybe the truck was under a strain? it really was not much at all......

#9 ·
thanks everyone!!! maybe i can get it back tomorrow....

#10 ·
well, got the truck back. injectors are good, compression is good, no colant loss, said it was the egr valve???? didnt see that, but she is running good again. i put my sct back on so the egr is now turned off. i guess thats what i get for helping someone out. do i need to still be worried? what kind of maintance should i do to prevent this again?

#12 ·
I had a truck where the EGR valve was completely plugged with carbon once, that would fall flat on its face as you tried to accelerate. The carbon plug up was so bad, I opted to replace the EGR valve and the intake manifold in order to avoid the possibility of a near future repeat repair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.