Long start after replacing STC and Dummy plugs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Long start after replacing STC and Dummy plugs

'05 6.0L Replaced the STC with new 4C3Z-9B246-E Kit, Also replaced dummy plugs although they looked almost as good as the new ones. It took quite a while for it to start the first time, which I anticipated because all of the oil had drained from the HP system.

But now I am still having long start issues, 6 to 10 seconds.

Am thinking that I should have replaced the tube assembly in the HP rails while I was in there, but thought since the dummy plugs looked good, well your know!@

Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

well for one thing 10 seconds is not an overly long period. What outside temps do you have.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

60s/70s during the day - Southern California
Old 12-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

well my truck is having the symptoms of the long start and I am debating whether or not to do the stc and stand pipes. sorry for the high jack but did you do it yourself or was your truck under warranty?
Old 12-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did it myself. Truck has 101077 miles - just out of warranty - figures - and FORD would not consider doing it under warranty even though it was so close.

I will say that doing the STC is not a job to be taken lightly. If your not an experienced diesel mechanic on the 6.0L then I would try to find one.

It took me 4 days because I went very slow and made sure that I had everything laid out and each bolt/nut bagged and tagged. I also have the FORD Service Manual DVD for the truck, and a few new tools that are not cheap to ensure that I removed and reinstalled things in the correct order and with the correct torque. I would not have attempted this without the aid of the manual!!

FORD wanted to charge me around $3K, and after what I had to do, it would have been well worth the money if I did not have a grease monkey inside me.

All in all it probably cost me about $500, $42 of that being the STC kit, Anitfreeze, Oil, and new Ford oil filter, and the proper tools, including good Torque Wrench in inch pounds ($200) and and OTC IPR Socket ($50). By the way, dont try to buy a cheap $30 - $60 torque wrench that starts at 5 Ft Lbs and try to use if for 8 Ft Lb torques - they do not work at the lower and high ends unless you buy one that costs at least $150 and that is the low end of the good ones.

Read every thread out there if you are going to do it yourself, and then I would still get the manual, ask a lot of questions, take your time and be patient.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:12 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
well for one thing 10 seconds is not an overly long period. What outside temps do you have.
10 seconds is WAAAAAAYYYY to long for a crank..

What exactly are you doing to the truck?
Old 12-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh yea - that was just the STC replacement.

Dummy Plugs and standpipes - another day or 2 at least! and that RH Valve cover - Hmmmmmmmm, let's talk tight unless you remove the A/C condensor - not to mention the LH side, getting to the bolts that hold the FICM down, and then making sure you dont screw up the three massive connectors that you have to unplug while only being able to move the FICM a few inches to do it.

Fun stuff if your into it and again have the patience
Old 12-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea 10 seconds is way to long - 5 seconds is way to long. I replaced the STC, did an EGR delete, replaced the dummy plugs and am now going to replace the crankcase-to-head tubes.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

This all started with a no start when hot. Had it towed to Ford and it started right up. As long as I was going to stay where I was going for over an hour, I was fine and the truck would start - but not if it was hot. No overheating by the way.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:33 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
I wouldnt' know buddy, we just bolted the cab back down on ours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.