2003 6.0l ICP Replacement?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 6.0l ICP Replacement??

My truck turns over good (new batteries) but it will not fire. Sounds like it may want to fire but it won't. If an ICP sensor goes bad,will the engine still try to start or will it just turn over?? Anyone know? Engine has 200,000km and the ICP has never been changed. I have the back cover off already and I can barely see the sensor but it looks like it has leaked before because there is dirt all over the end of the connector. Any tips on wrench sizes and how to get it out would also be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 03:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to wildfingas
A bad ICP will cause a no start but so can a bad HPOP. Do some searching on here. There a handful of threads on this topic.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:08 PM

Snapon carries the special socket that is needed but rather exspensive. I looked in the last OTC catalog that came in to the shop and did not find one , seems they would have one tho. I think its like 32 mm. but it would need to be cut off or the intake removed for ya to use a regular wrench.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i use a 1 1/16 12 pt crows foot socket,works well for me
Old 12-18-2009, 08:00 PM

Ok thanks for the help guys! Someone said something about cutting an inch off of a 1 1/16 deep socket..?
Also,I seen a video of a guy that had a bad FICM going on his truck. It sounded just like mine prior to it not starting at all which is the case now.

I took the plug off the ICP sensor and there was a little oil in there.That might explain my intermitent miss going down the hwy.

I tried disconecting the icp plug to see if it would start and run in a default mode but no luck. It sounds like it's barely firing and there is a little black smoke coming out the pipes if I crank it long enough. Hope it's not dusted!!

Last edited by DieselJuice; 12-18-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselJuice View Post
Ok thanks for the help guys! Someone said something about cutting an inch off of a 1 1/16 deep socket..?
Also,I seen a video of a guy that had a bad FICM going on his truck. It sounded just like mine prior to it not starting at all which is the case now.
If this helps, I have had VERY FEW FICM failures on '03 model year engines rolling into my bay. Now, that's not to say that's not possible. These 6.0L engines are very interesting animals, in that I usually find myself treating '03 engines much differently than I treat '04 to '07 engines.

Quote:
I took the plug off the ICP sensor and there was a little oil in there.That might explain my intermitent miss going down the hwy.

I tried disconecting the icp plug to see if it would start and run in a default mode but no luck. It sounds like it's barely firing and there is a little black smoke coming out the pipes if I crank it long enough. Hope it's not dusted!!
Make sure you replace the ICP sensor connector too (Ford Part Number 5C3Z-12224-A) as well. Pay attention to the quality of your work when splicing each of the three wires.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:41 AM

ya thanks M-chan-68. I did get the harness too. Is it hard to splice in those wires?? I hope the harness comes out where I can get at it a little more.
also,my truck does fire a wee bit and there is some black smoke coming out the pipes so wouldn't that say thta some of my injectors are firing?
Old 12-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
ya thanks M-chan-68. I did get the harness too. Is it hard to splice in those wires?? I hope the harness comes out where I can get at it a little more.
also,my truck does fire a wee bit and there is some black smoke coming out the pipes so wouldn't that say thta some of my injectors are firing?
The connector kit comes with all the necessary connectors that should make it very easy to splice in those wires. As far as room to to work with, I usually disconnect it from the IPR valve as well, and pull it out past the FICM, giving me plenty of room to work with. Make sure you do it, one at a time, in order to ensure a good quality repair. DO NOT leave the heat shield out. If it is saturated with oil, clean it out in a varsol tank, and blow it out DRY before you reinstall it. As far as black smoke coming out the pipe, install your ICP sensor and connector first, then recheck the repair, and address how the truck starts and runs.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:01 PM

Ok got the ICP in...I took a 1 1/16 wrench and cut down to about 3 inches long.Used the box end and it worked great. I removed my front drive shaft and the transmission cable from the trany and tied it out of the way. Took the heat shield off.Three bolts for that and then I R&R'd the ICP. Not to bad of a job now that I have some experience but really,what were these guy's thinking putting in that spot?????

Now I will tackle the wiring. Let you know if it starts or not.....fingers crossed.......
Old 12-19-2009, 02:15 PM

Play by play action here...lol I unbolted the coolant resevoir and pulled it towards the front of the truck,Unbolted the FICM and removed the FICM bracket thta's attached to the valve cover. Much much easier to get at the wires for the ICP.
It looks like the sensor has been replaced before but it's not the same colour wires as this new updated kit.
There is another sensor I unpluged right beside the ICP. Is that the IPR sensor??
The Following User Says Thank You to DieselJuice For This Useful Post:
kriskemper (05-28-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.