How do I check Injectors?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 11:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do I check Injectors??

So my truck wouldn't start this morning and when I finally got it to start it was rolling some grayish/blackish THICK smoke... it smelled like fuel.... my fuel pump didn't sound good when I was waiting to start either..... I had to shut the truck off because it was pushing out all the smoke and shaking noticably bad and the turbo was whining like crazy and it was reving up higher than normal prolly close to 2000 rpm..... i have started a 6.0 everyday for the past 4 years and never experienced anything like this.....

anyway after all that i turned the truck back to stock from erics Xstreet file and started it again... i spit and sputtered pretty normal and puffed some white like it normally does then cleared up and is running fine..... i did plug it in but i haven't been home to check and see if im actually getting it plugged in (cord may be bad).... Im thinking that maybe some of my injectors were sticking? is that possible? if not any other ideas... I wish i had a video of it... it was crazy how much it was pushing out and what it sounded like.... im going to change the fuel filters on friday but they only have 15,000 on them...

thanks.. sorry for the rambling post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 04:15 PM

bump... anyone know how I can check if my injectors are sticking? or have any ideas... did the truck just gel up?
Old 12-15-2009, 06:17 PM

Have you scanned for codes?
Old 12-15-2009, 06:21 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well i dont know bout the injectors but i have never gotten over 10k miles out of my filters... Mine smokes alot right at start up and idle goes to 1200-1300... but i only run a 110-120hp tow tune in the winter months instead of a race tune
Old 12-15-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headviking View Post
Have you scanned for codes?
I will tomorrow... good call

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhner5 View Post
Well i dont know bout the injectors but i have never gotten over 10k miles out of my filters... Mine smokes alot right at start up and idle goes to 1200-1300... but i only run a 110-120hp tow tune in the winter months instead of a race tune
yeah I usually run the street tune in the winter but yesterday morning it got up to 53 so I put the X tune in for a day then last night it turned the coldest it's been all winter... I also don't think my block heater cord is working because I can't hear it running (shouldn't I be able to hear that) and I have also never been around a truck when it's been gelled up so maybe that was just my first experience with that.... and yes I usually try to change my filters pretty regularly as well but Im at college and the shop and most of the tools are at home... so I will do that friday..... the truck ran great all day on the stock tune... i will see how she does in the morning.. after re-thinking everything and the sound of that pump it makes me think it was just gelled up... and the X tune prolly didn't help either... I wish i would've had a video of it though... it was CRAZY....

thanks for the responses... I will see about tomorrow.. I have 2 finals left then ill be done for the year so I ill have time to tinker!
Old 12-16-2009, 04:25 PM

ok I checked for codes and got a p0611 and searched it on here and found that it was an FICM code.... I am planning on sending my FICM off to Bill to get it reprogrammed... How do these things work... can they be ruined and you have to get a whole new one then have it reprogrammed or can I send the one I have off and will Bill's reprogram fix it.

Thanks guys
Old 12-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The most important thing to do is when the truck is stone cold, first start of the day, listen to the truck. Open your door and turn the key maybe with your head out the window. You are listening to the tick of the injectors. If the tick sounds strange, or there is no tick at all you either have a FICM that is on the way out, you need the latest Ford calibration, or there is some other issue at play. Last winter I replaced probably 10 FICMs due to dead inverters. That ticking you hear when you cycle the key on is the FICM doing an "inductive" warming of the injectors to help cold starts. What happens usually when you lose that tick is the 48volt inverter in the FICM is dead. Ford released a updated calibration that helps save the inverter and sometimes on rare occasions can bring a bad FICM back from the dead.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:51 PM

hmm well I did notice that it didn't sound normal but i thought that was my fuel pump cycling.... but i know what ya mean it definitely didn't sound right.. but I really don't want to take it to ford... does anyone know if what Bill at PHP does can fix this too???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.