low on coolant... where is it goin? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
low on coolant... where is it goin?

Have a 06 F-250, only change is a straight pipe. A few weeks ago took it to the local dealer, was blowing black smoke. Never had this happen before, truck was always low on coolant. I finally convinced myself I blew a headgasket, took it in they say it was an EGR cooler. Replaced the cooler, rebuilt the turbo, new EGR, oil changed, coolant change... I am starting to notice the tell tale signs of low coolant again, cold air bowing when the truck is not under power (this is also what happened before the black smoke last time). Added coolant this week, where is it going? It has about 72,xxx still under warranty, also seems to be squealing a little at high rpm with lots of boost, I am guessing that this is the EGR valve leaking? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What you might be hearing is the coolant bottle cap purging under full boost. I have heard that noise on numerous trucks that had head gaskets leaking. Do you see any coolant residue on the coolant bottle around the cap?
Old 12-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

low coolant

I am not sure but that seems to be a viable reason. I dont recall seeing that white stuff on the tank, but that does not mean that it was not there. I do have some on there now but I think that it from me spilling it when I was adding. What I do know is that there was some on there in the past. Is this a sign of a defective cap? or a head gasket leaking. If so can you test for it without breaking the bank?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Powerstroke Techie

There is a TSB that applies to this concern. TSB 09-08-03. If the tech does his job correctly and checks OASIS he will find this TSB. The procedure for replacing the EGR and Oil cooler is the first part of that TSB, the second part is reassembling the vehicle and watching coolant system pressure while driving the truck under high RPMs and boost. You can check this yourself for kicks if you like, but the Ford dealer's job is not done. I would tell your advisor that you are losing coolant, and you can hear a whistle from the engine compartment. If you T a coolant pressure tester into one of the vent hoses and monitor the pressure while driving you will get an answer whether your HGs are blown. If the pressure goes above 18ish psi and stays there, you have a problem.

I have a truck at work right now that had the same symptoms you are describing. No heat unless you raise the RPMs and coolant loss. Removed the EGR cooler to test it and it was leaking less than any I have ever seen, but leaking nonetheless. I replaced the EGR cooler and Oil cooler heat exchanger. Reassembled the vehicle and still had the same problem. Pulled the heads and turns out that the HG on cyl 3,5 and 7 was blown.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well I recently bought an 06 from a good friend of mine and it has had a new turbo, egr cooler, oil cooler, heat exchanger, and head gaskets replaced within the past 7 months, the warranty just ran out 3k miles ago and my coolant is slowly going down in the degas bottle and it also seems to have the stc problem with the hard start now as well. sorry for the hi jack but any suggestions or thoughts
Old 12-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Head Gasket Leak - 04 F250 6.0L

I am starting to wonder if the 6L is worth the trouble. I have an 04 87K miles with a coolant leak. Dealers says to replace head gasket, Oil Cooler and EGR cooler at $3500. As anyone tryied Bars Head Gasket Fix? It is cheaper than $3500.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Premium Member

For starters guys dont replace the EGR cooler. Delete it. Secondly when u replace the head gaskets, stud the heads. This will solve alot of problems and relieve alot of headaches. Dont waist your time or money putting OEM parts back on these engines. Hope this helps.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:16 PM

well I mean if the trucks are still under warranty we really dont have an option unless you have plenty of funds to play with.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Unfortunately, the warranty expired based on time not miles. Anyone have a thought on using the Bar's Gasket Fix. Money is tight and need a temp solution if possible. Also going on a 1500 mile trip this weekend. Open to suggustions.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:01 PM

I guess it cant make things worse lol I have used it on my motorcycle once when I was in a pinch and it seemed to hold together enough to get me home anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.