Oil leaking around exhaust manifold bolts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 07:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil leaking around exhaust manifold bolts

Why would I have oil leaking around the exhaust manifold bolts? Just had a new head, head gaskets, and ARP's put on and I KNOW it was done right! Is this common or should I call the tech that did the work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 08:48 AM

Well this could be residue from pulling the heads but if it continues more than a couple of days I would suspect a damaaged injector tip.
I have found in most cases that it is actually diesel that is leaking, with dissolved oil and carbon it will look like oil,it will just be thinner.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:10 AM

I've had several small oil leaks repaired so I've been checking from time to time. Heads were done in August I believe, I washed the engine and under carrage down afterwards. Went under to install my new block heater cord yesterday and I noticed oil on the trans lines, starter and on up the side of the block all the way to the exhaust manifold bolts. It appears to be wet around both top and bottom bolts on each cylinder. Didn't check the drivers side cause it started raining.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:12 AM

Would the bolts require a thread sealer, do they thread into an area that would contain oil?
Old 12-13-2009, 10:13 AM

Not useually. By the way do you seem to have a lot of crankcase pressure? You can check this by takeing the oil fill cap off and feeling how hard it is blowing. It should be kinda gentle if it is comeing out hard you have rings blowing by.
There is a tool to check but just feeling listening will useually tell you enough.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
Not useually. By the way do you seem to have a lot of crankcase pressure? You can check this by takeing the oil fill cap off and feeling how hard it is blowing. It should be kinda gentle if it is comeing out hard you have rings blowing by.
There is a tool to check but just feeling listening will useually tell you enough.
Well, I only have 54,000 miles on the engine. I wouldn't think I have excessive ring blowby. All my UOA have looked good. Do you take the cap off when the engine is running or after you shut it off?
Old 12-13-2009, 11:54 AM

while running
Old 12-13-2009, 04:52 PM

The glow plug harnesses have orings to seal them. Its possible they are leaking.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oil leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandini View Post
I've had several small oil leaks repaired so I've been checking from time to time. Heads were done in August I believe, I washed the engine and under carrage down afterwards. Went under to install my new block heater cord yesterday and I noticed oil on the trans lines, starter and on up the side of the block all the way to the exhaust manifold bolts. It appears to be wet around both top and bottom bolts on each cylinder. Didn't check the drivers side cause it started raining.
Hey I have exact same type of leak on my 6.0. Exactly. Oil on starter, oil near engine block heater port and dripping down onto trans lines....did you ever find a solution? Can you email me at Pedtech@gmail.com if you did? I would greatly appreciate it. This one is puzzling me. I recently did all seals on top of engine when I did the egr delete.
Thanks again,
Chris
Old 11-27-2010, 10:22 AM

my 04 was leaking out of the oil cooler housing in the Vally of the engine and running down the back of the heads to the trans lines... i thought for sure it was glow plugs or valve cover gasket but it was the oil cooler housing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.