Glow plug light staying on too long, hard start. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 10:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow plug light staying on too long, hard start.

Hey guys. Got a customer truck with a hard start condition. The glow plug light comes on, and stays on for about 10 mins until the truck has reached operating temp...something I've never seen in a 6.0 before.

I know the Beru glow plugs never fail, and even if one did, I don't think it would cause the extended wait to start light illumination...so I've kind of ruled out a glow plug failing.

So of course the next step would be to look at the Glow Plug Control Module, again, something I've never had to replace, but is what I'm leaning to as the culprit of this issue, what do you guys think?

I leaning on the GPCM on the assumption that the glow plug system is contained to the GPCM only, and not other sensors. Basically what I'm asking is: could it be maybe just a faulty ambient air temp sensor causing the glow plugs to stay on for too long? But then again, this wouldn't cause a hard start...

Either way, let me know what you guys think, haven't run into this one before!

Thanks

Clyson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 03:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

First off how cold of an environment, sub freezeing temps or what. How good a shape is the engine/compression. If it is really cold it actually may be working correctly if the block/water doesn't get up by then.
I would supect the engine temp sensor readings more than the ambient temp.
Compare actual temp readings to recorded temp readings, a hand held digital thermometer is good for this. Shoot the block, heads and hoses and radiator and compare readings.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
First off how cold of an environment, sub freezeing temps or what. How good a shape is the engine/compression. If it is really cold it actually may be working correctly if the block/water doesn't get up by then.
I would supect the engine temp sensor readings more than the ambient temp.
Compare actual temp readings to recorded temp readings, a hand held digital thermometer is good for this. Shoot the block, heads and hoses and radiator and compare readings.
Yes sub freezing. I work on on average 3 different 6.0L's a day in and out and I've never seen one do what this one's doing with the wait to start light in this climate.

Anyone seen/heard of the GPCM failing?
Old 12-13-2009, 03:23 PM

Yes they do fail sometimes. They are an electronic device even tho solid state they do fail.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:45 PM

Send a message via ICQ to VeeDubTDI Send a message via AIM to VeeDubTDI Send a message via MSN to VeeDubTDI Send a message via Yahoo to VeeDubTDI
Did you figure out the cause of your problem?

Glow plug time is calculated based on engine oil temperature. I saw a graph somewhere, but haven't been able to find it. If anyone knows which graph I'm talking about, please post it.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
they are known for melting the green connector on the gpcm like the later 7.3. remove both connector and inspect for burnt or melted pins.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:36 PM

Replaced the GPCM and all is well.
Old 08-22-2010, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a 97 7.3 and the wts light stays on and doesn't go off at all. Could this be from a pcm-idm communication error? I haven't gotten to drive my baby in a month and am lost with this truck.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 crewcab View Post
I have a 97 7.3 and the wts light stays on and doesn't go off at all. Could this be from a pcm-idm communication error? I haven't gotten to drive my baby in a month and am lost with this truck.
You may have better luck asking about this in the 7.3 area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.