Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

changed ICP-Truck won't start

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  pdanaher 
#1 ·
I have an 03 f-250 with the 6 L engine. About two weeks ago the check engine light came on, went off , and then came back on again. We put it in our garage and it would not start. A code check showed us the P2285 code. After reading the forums, we checked the ICP sensor and found oil in the connector. We replaced the sensor and connector but the truck will still not even fire. It is such a job to get to the connector, I checked the voltage from the ICP sensor to the EGR valve and found about 5 volts on the brown/white wire. I reset the code, tried to start and no codes are set or reset. Does anyone have any suggestions where I should go from here. Appreciate any help anyone might have.

#4 ·
What ICP are you getting during cranking? 500psi .8v is required to start. Maybe you mixed up wires installing the pigtail?

#5 ·
#6 ·
Where do you check the voltage? I am going to pull the connector off tomorrow and recheck the connections. The new connector was not color coded so I hooked the new one up in the same configuration as the old one (i thought). I have read that the voltage should be 0.8 volts but was not sure where to measure. Thanks for the reply.

#8 ·
Most mechanics are getting the reading from the live data stream thru thir scan tool.
With a good DVOM you can check at the plug end wireing harness side. Read from wire to wire. Neg lead to black wire Pos lead to the other with thw key on.

Note: your DVOM test probes may not fit and you may need to make adapters from an old plug in.

#10 ·
I got my truck fixed and want to thank everyone who gave me information and pass on a couple of items I learned. I have worked on farm engines quite a bit, but they are different than this one. I ended up having two problems at the same time. First the ICP sensor was bad causing the P2285 code and secondly, I had a broken wire to the FICM circuit. If you are having trouble, you need to read the information from the truck computer. Without it, you are only guessing like I was. Once we had the live data, mechanics on this site told be where to start looking. If you are having problems with no start, take a look at http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...FICM_Guide.pdf. This is a description of how the FICM works and a generic wiring diagram. My problem was that I had power to the FICM when the key was turned on but that was it. Once the FICM sees key on power, it closes a circuit to ground which then pulls in the FICM relay which in turn puts power out for the injectors. My wire delivering 12 v to the FICM relay coil was broken. One other thing which I learned is that getting to the bolt on the back of the turbo on my 03 is possible. I did not have to remove it, but on my truck, if you remove the exhaust from the turbo and break the exhaust pipe under the truck, the exhaust will move back about 1 inch. This will allow you to get a 3/8 breaker bar with a short socket onto that bolt. Hope this helps someone. Again, these forums are great. Sit back, read and a lot can be learned. Help is available if you ask.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.