Fuel Pump Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 09:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Pump Help

Hey guys my truck has had some issues starting and I took it to the mechanic and he said it had low fuel pressure. Basically when the fuel pump primes it doesn't sound like its "spooling" up or priming very strong. I bought a used pump off a guy on the org here, he claims that it only had 1000k miles on it and I put it in today. Well after I installed it the truck fires right up but it still doesnt sound like its priming very strong. I just dont want to spend money on this pump for it not to last and have to buy a new one anyway.

When I had my 03 the pump went and it was making the same slow "spooling noise" and I replaced it with a OEM pump and from the on it sounded and seemed like it "spooled up" alot faster and stronger. Any help would be great thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 07:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey guys, Just signed up and glad to be here.....well its kind of bitter sweet you know.
I was curious as to what noises, if any noises the truck was making while cranking. My truck is making a knocking noise while cranking and takes longer than normal to start but once started runs fine. I wonder if my issue is possibly a fuel pump related issue.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokinNSmokin6.0 View Post
Hey guys my truck has had some issues starting and I took it to the mechanic and he said it had low fuel pressure. Basically when the fuel pump primes it doesn't sound like its "spooling" up or priming very strong. I bought a used pump off a guy on the org here, he claims that it only had 1000k miles on it and I put it in today. Well after I installed it the truck fires right up but it still doesnt sound like its priming very strong. I just dont want to spend money on this pump for it not to last and have to buy a new one anyway.

When I had my 03 the pump went and it was making the same slow "spooling noise" and I replaced it with a OEM pump and from the on it sounded and seemed like it "spooled up" alot faster and stronger. Any help would be great thanks!!
Check for fuel pressure at the engine filter housing. You'll have to peer under the intake horn, but you'll see a hex plug that you can remove, plug a line and gauge on there and turn the key "on" if you're over 40psi you're good, but 55psi is perfect.

And the HFCM pumps are quiet, I normally can't even hear them prime unless I listen for it.

Hope this helps
Old 12-13-2009, 02:05 PM

yeah I ve been driving it for a day or so now with the new pump. It starts up and runs perfect but it takes a while to finally fire, I have to crank it for about 10 seconds or so before it finally lights off. Any other suggestions, I probably wont be able to test the pressure until tuesday but thanks for the specs!!
Old 12-13-2009, 02:13 PM

This does sound like a typical fuel pressure issue - the extended crank, but as far as other culprits I'd lean on low HUEI pressure and/or FICM.

Does the oil temperature have any correlation with crank times?
Old 12-13-2009, 02:17 PM

well like I said in the previous post the truck had the original pump on it and its got 109k on it now, so I bought a nearly new one off a guy on here with 1000k miles and the sticker says its only 7 months old. With the old pump it would take forever to crank and spit and sputter to fire but it would start. With the new pump it just takes a little bit to fire but starts smoothly. HOPEFULLY its not the FICM!! anyway to test that?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:04 AM

Clys I was thinking about what you said earlier about the oil temp. and it takes about the same time to start every time I try and go somewhere. I counted and it takes about 7 seconds to start, I forgot to mention I am in sunny FL and the coldest temperature I have seen in 2 months in probably 45. Should I take it to the dealer and have them runs some tests or what is the cheapest way to go about this. I am pretty mechanically inclined. Thanks Again
Old 12-14-2009, 10:10 AM

I would purchase the HFCM by yourself and install. Quite easy to do provided you have the fuel line quick disconnects. Let me know if you need any help VIA pm and I'll be glad to help ya. Did you check fuel pressure?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:15 AM

I put the new pump on same scenario, just starts smoother. My roommate also has an 06 that runs perfect and I pulled his pump off as well and installed it in my truck just for curiosity and the same thing happened long crank before start. I had the fuel pressure checked on my old pump and it was low according to the mechanic, that's why I purchased the almost new pump off PS and it cured the rough start but not the long crank. THANKS A MILLION FOR YOUR INFO
Old 12-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Shaking the Bush Boss

CLYS....is there anything special needed to use a 6.0 fuel pump... other than power and ground, fuel line connectors....I'm wanting to swap out my elec mallory pump, and either use 2 7.3 elec pumps or a 6.0 pump...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.