Runs rough, No Power when warm - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 05:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Runs rough, No Power when warm

Last night on my way to work my truck started to miss when I started it. (it had only been parked for approx. 1/2 hour) The warmer it got the worse the miss got. Then this morning after work it started ok, but when it warmed up it started to miss again and lost power, to the point of going into limp mode. Managed to get it to the dealer, they hooked it up and the laptop they were using said that it had dropped the #1,3 and 5 injectors. We let it cool off and then drove it to the gas station next door to add some fuel (just in case it was a bad fuel issue), then test drove it, problem returned, and we had to keep a foot on the pedal to keep it from stalling.I find it hard to believe that it lost 3 of 4 injectors from the same bank at once.

I just recently cleaned the egr valve, changed the fuel filters, and did an oil change. It drove normal after that, until last night.
Does it take alot to trip the check engine light on these trucks? Because mine never lit up, and I would think that it should have, considering that it was barely driveable. It's a 2004.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2009, 06:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

FICM going Bad?
Old 12-11-2009, 06:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ficm was replaced last winter, but it could be going again...
Old 12-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh, that would suck! Just just had mine replaced yesterday. $820.00 later. They say to keep good batteries. I'm putting 2 new Interstates in today because I do alot of plowing.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm running 2 Optima Yellow Tops. When the ficm went bad last year, I killed my original batteries trying to start it while waiting for my ficm to come off backorder.

Last edited by Gix1k4; 12-11-2009 at 07:14 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke Techie

1, 3 and 5 injectors are on the right side of the engine. Farthest from the fuel pump. I would imagine you either have compression entering the fuel system, OR low fuel pressure which has led to the injector failures.

I would have them check the FICM however -- it can cause all sorts of wierd driveability issues. The confusing part is how it runs good for awhile then goes for a poop. When is the last time the fuel filters were changed?

It is unusual for these trucks to miss the warmer it gets unless it is a fuel starvation issue. I had a 7.3 that wouldn't start to run poorly until you ran it for over an hour. The pickup socks in the tank were plugged.

How many miles on your unit?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The fuel filters were changed last week, prior to that they were done at the most 20000kms (14000miles) ago, at the most. I usually do them between 10 and 15000 kms. Truck has 135000kms (~84000miles) on it. It's had a new turbo at 60000kms and new egr at 90000kms. The ficm was done at ~110000kms

When you say "compression entering the fuel system", are you meaning that it's entering through a stuck open injector? Or am I way off on my interpretation of that? I'm new to diesels, but want very much to learn about them. "People fear the unknown,. Gain the knowledge, overcome the fear" -Can't remember who said that, but it fits.

Last edited by Gix1k4; 12-11-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dealership tested for fuel pressure, all was ok. Tested the FICM, tested ok. Added latest flash and replaced 2 injectors. I also had them inspect for possible head gasket and egr cooler failure, nothing found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.