I'm hear a new sound - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post I'm hear a new sound

Recently I have been hearing a new sound under the hood. It is much more prominent when cold, but after the the engine warms up the sound is still there. It sounds like a low tone howl. It starts off at around 1800 rpms and hits it peak at 2100 rpms and drifts off if I go any higher. I have an appointment with the diesel tech guy on Saturday. Just wanted a heads up. By the way I am displaying a bit of coolant puke as well, Hents the appointment on Saturday. Any idea guys? 122000klm (85000miles).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2009, 02:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a similar noise on my 2006 Powerstroke with 42,000 miles on the engine. The noise sounds very similar to when someone blows across the top of a beer bottle if that makes sense. The noise get less as the engine heats up and only appears while accelerating under load. I ran the motor up in neutral and heard no noise... if it is the y pipe; I know they sometimes crack at the flex joint.....

Would be very interested in what the diesel tech tells you.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:18 AM

Well if the charge air hose comes off or has a split in it would make that type of sound but you would also have performance issues, low power stutter/shudder or stalling.

What are your temps like, I kinda suspect the fan clutch. This will also make a kinda whooing noise.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No power issues at all, she runs like a champ; got her on the highway to make sure and that powerstroke really pulls hard. Temps look good, all in the "normal" range; looked around the y pipe to see if there were any signs of an exhaust leak, but nothing there.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

HI

Quote:
Originally Posted by headviking View Post
Recently I have been hearing a new sound under the hood. It is much more prominent when cold, but after the the engine warms up the sound is still there. It sounds like a low tone howl. It starts off at around 1800 rpms and hits it peak at 2100 rpms and drifts off if I go any higher. I have an appointment with the diesel tech guy on Saturday. Just wanted a heads up. By the way I am displaying a bit of coolant puke as well, Hents the appointment on Saturday. Any idea guys? 122000klm (85000miles).
What is coolant puke?
Old 12-13-2009, 06:31 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
these trucks are famous for "puking" coolant out of the degas bottle... generally that is a sign that you are about (or already have) bigger problems such as headgaskets, oil cooler, egr valve
Old 12-20-2009, 06:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just pulled the air cleaner assembly apart, I got a ton of bees and insects on the front of the filter; new filter cartridge solved the problem.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How ironic, My truck has been leaking a little water out of the res/jug under the hood. I noticed that same howl awhile back, I had no idea what it was. Well, the other night I was headed back to Arkansas from south La. (cajun country) and she was runnin a lil hot, I stopped and put 1 1/2 gallons of water in it and the noise stopped. Beats me man but I'm ok if a cool drink of water saves me money, whether I understand it or not... Maybe if I fix the leak in my jug the vents will start working right......
Old 12-20-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillbillyF250 View Post
How ironic, My truck has been leaking a little water out of the res/jug under the hood. I noticed that same howl awhile back, I had no idea what it was. Well, the other night I was headed back to Arkansas from south La. (cajun country) and she was runnin a lil hot, I stopped and put 1 1/2 gallons of water in it and the noise stopped. Beats me man but I'm ok if a cool drink of water saves me money, whether I understand it or not... Maybe if I fix the leak in my jug the vents will start working right......
Do you mean your not getting any heat?
Old 12-20-2009, 07:58 AM

you know i never thought much of it but my truck is making the same noise im pretty sure my headgaskets are on there way out so maybe this is a sign

actually come to think of it im pretty sure that the noise is the water and air purging past the cap so
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.