Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wildfingas
Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement

I think I may need to post here instead of general discussion so if there are any mods that can delete the post in general discussion thanks.

Whats involved in replacing this thing. I had my truck in the shop for a hesitation at about mid to heavy throttle. Under normal acceleration it does not do this. Only when I "get on it". So I brought it in and he put his scan tool on it and did some driving. He came up with the fuel pressure be lower than what it was calling for at the throttle position point of the hesitation. So after tlking to him he said it could one or two things. The IPR , which is the same as pressure regulator correct? Or it could be the HPOP. He was leaning more towards the FPR because of the fact it starts fine and runs fine has no other signs pointing to HPOP.

I want to see if the Mechanics on here or even the gurus agree with this and what the steps are to replace the FPR.

One other thing is will driving it like this for a short period, a few days cause any damage to injectors if I keep it at normal driving levels not causing it to starve for fuel?

Thanks in advanced.

Donnie

Old 12-09-2009, 04:00 PM

Anyone? Does the 6.0 have a FPR or just the IPR or both or is it one in the same? Need some help please. Concerned about the injectors at the same time because of the cutoff in fuel pressure. I dont want it to lead to more expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2009, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The fuel pressure regulator is far easier to replace than the IPR valve. The fuel pressure regulator is Ford part number 3C3Z-9T517-AE for ALL model year 6.0L engines. The IPR valve is model year dependent.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
The fuel pressure regulator is far easier to replace than the IPR valve. The fuel pressure regulator is Ford part number 3C3Z-9T517-AE for ALL model year 6.0L engines. The IPR valve is model year dependent.

Ok so then these are two different parts that are both on the vehicle then. The shop I brought it to was telling me he wanted to start with the IPR valve first. He did not mention the FPR. If the IPR valve was failing would you not get a code of some sort out of it. He did also mention the HPOP too.

How about the FPR. Will that set a code? I haven't yet but I think I am going to bring it to my dealership to have a second opinion also. I dont want to just start throwing parts at it. Are the FPR's a common part to fail and would it cause this "hesitation or shudder" in this mid throttle acceleration?

I realize without actually driving and being able to do any data logging with a scan tool its difficult to say but you seem to be pretty on point from other post I have read of yours so thanks in advanced.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Subscribing...I've got an 06 6.0 that I think is running rough, almost surging at idle. I drove it this morning and it started shuddering while going 50 trying to accelerate to 60. Something's amiss...
Old 12-24-2009, 02:36 PM

The FPR is a mechanical spring loaded device no codes as there is no sensor. You will just see the results in pressure readings in live data or with a gauge hooked to the test port. Both the port and the regulator are mounted in the bottom front of the secondary fuel filter houseing. The one on top the motor.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
The FPR is a mechanical spring loaded device no codes as there is no sensor. You will just see the results in pressure readings in live data or with a gauge hooked to the test port. Both the port and the regulator are mounted in the bottom front of the secondary fuel filter houseing. The one on top the motor.

No codes here. Just rough on acceleration sometimes and has that bad hesitation on heavy throttle. All he said was fuel pressure was in the toilet when the demand was high it was not supplying sufficient fuel pressure to satisfy the injectors.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:31 AM

If your mechanic can not monitor commanded IPR values vs Actual values, Run away. The IPR valve is a bear to replace if it isn't the problem, besides its not cheap. Check Fuel pressure. I believe 60 at idle 45 or 50 at WOT. Someone here can verify this.
My mechanic has a motorcraft program on his lap top. This is the only way to diagnose properly.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:41 PM

Dead thread. I got it all worked out. I have a Ford tech that I use out of the dealership. Got it all fixed up shortly after my las post.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:47 PM

Would you mind shareing what the soloution was for other readers here who may have the sam,e symptoms?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.