Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Bulletproof After Overheating

5K views 44 replies 13 participants last post by  toren302 
#1 ·
I've got a 2006 6.0 F250 just under 90k miles. Bazooka tune, 4" straight pipe, and blue spring. No other performance mods.

A little recent history on the truck, I was on my way camping (3 hour drive, not too much elevation climb) and noticed the truck was starting to get a little hot, coolant getting up to around 240, I was able to maintain and keep the temps down till I got there. Once there I noticed the degas was low and had oil mixed slime in it, and I ended up adding about a gallon of water. On the way back the temps were pretty good until about an hour from home, the oil and coolant temps sky rocketed. I kept pulling over, letting it cool and adding water. My SCT maxed at 270 degrees for coolant and around 300 for oil, My temps never went much past those.

I did a bit of a coolant flush with cascade then about 30 minutes of hose water running constantly (no overheating) and I am replacing the thermostat due to the oil. I also started getting long crank times, due to head gasket? No noticeable loss of power, but I really wasn't pushing it, and no white smoke.

I am going to do a full bulletproof as well as a couple extras since the engine will be torn down already.

So my questions are:
1: After the overheating, other than the parts that are being replaced with the bulletproof stuff, what other parts should I check for damage from the excess heat?
2: I was going to buy the SINISTER DIESEL COMPLETE SOLUTION heads up kit with EGR cooler (I'm in California), oil cooler, studs, coolant filter, and every gasket known to man. Does anyone have any experience with this kit? I just like that its one kit will all the parts for a pretty decent price.
3: I hear good and bad things about the Black Diamond Head Gaskets. Any opinions?

In total I was going to do Studs, EGR, Oil Cooler, FICM w/ tune, BP Water Pump, 04'-07' update kit from Sinister, Coolant Filter, Bypass Oil Filter, Regulated Fuel Return, Mishimoto Radiator, Banks Intercooler System, Mad Turbo Werks M2 Turbo, New Tune, Possibly Injectors Depending on Price.

I found a shop nearby that can check and machine the heads if necessary.
I'd love to hear every ones opinions and experience with these particular parts but I really want to know what else should be checked after the overheating.

See less See more
#4 ·
I am still going to take it to a shop before I tear it apart to get a good flush done on it.

The Complete Solution Kit comes with an "Updated Oil Cooler" but the air to oil cooler was something I was considering, just not sure if I want to spend 1500 on it.

#3 ·
Looks to me like he is thinking about going with the Sinister oil cooler.

Reactions: ZMANN
#7 ·
If that "updated oil cooler" is a genuine Ford OEM part, you are fine. If it is the Sinister brand cooler, don't use it.

One upside with the air-to-oil is that - if you go that route - your coolant flush requirements get way relaxed.

Another option is an oil cooler relocation. Both @ZMANN and I have that. It's a little less expensive than air-to-oil.

_________

Edited to add...
The aftermarket coolers - SInister included - have larger coolant ports to reduce clogging. Problem is that they also reduce heat transfer. Higher deltas will be your new world.

#8 · (Edited)
If that "updated oil cooler" is a genuine Ford OEM part, you are fine. If it is the Sinister brand cooler, don't use it.

One upside with the air-to-oil is that - if you go that route - your coolant flush requirements get way relaxed.

Another option is a oil cooler relocation. Both @ZMANN and I have that. It's a little less expensive than air-to-oil.
So you guys say the ford OEM cooler is better than the sinister "updated" cooler? If I didnt want to relocate or replace with air to oil, is the OEM the best cooler?

The only issue I see with with the oil cooler relocation is that the kit puts it right where the bypass oil and coolant filter brackets are designed to go

I was wrong, the BPD relocation puts the cooler right behind the passenger battery

#12 ·
No need to sugarcoat it... Lol.

#13 ·
OEM oil cooler has proven time and time again to be better at cooling the oil than the other aftermarket products that mimic the OEM cooler but have " larger passages"

now that you have contaminated your cooling system I would be considering an air to oil cooler fromBPD or at least the remote OEM BPD kit

and if this were mine I would start flushing using simple green even before the shop gets their turn

#14 ·
Search Sinster stuff here and you will see plenty of talk about them, not much good though.

I too have the BPD relocation kit and really like it. The BPD air to oil kit is great, but the relocation kit suits my needs just fine.

#19 ·
If you look on the BPD site, they do have some packages. Plus, if you decide that you want a Headgasket Pakage and an Oil Cooler Relocation, let's say, they will bundle. I would expect that you could end up with the same parts coverage in a really nice way.

Reactions: Rattlesnake18
#22 ·
:look:

Call BPD directly and talk to them. They will get you set up and make sure everything you need is in the box (aside from the sanity required to actually turn the wrench :look: )

Seriously though, get on the phone with them. Thats the biggest difference between BPD and Sinister (aside from quality)... Their customer service is spot on every time. Both are vendors and I support them both, but I will pay the higher price for what you actually get from BPD.

#23 ·
I have my Cart full right now and its only 1k more than on sinister. I am including the air to oil cooler and I am not getting quite as many gaskets, plus I'm getting the BPD water pump and fan clutch vs the Alliant water pump and fan clutch.

I'll definitely give them a call though, I want to make sure I get all the gaskets that I'm probably forgetting

#24 ·
When it comes to BPD (or any of the places I order parts from :look: ) I don't do anything online. I call or shoot an email, sometimes it can take a little longer but the end result is a lot better. And a live person setting up an order can do a lot more as far as bundling and making sure you have EXACTLY what you need. Not to mention, you have a direct contact if you end up with a gasket that's damaged, missing parts, or questions (Happens a lot and its a lot less frustrating when you already know who to call/email lol.)

Reactions: john galt
#42 ·
heads...I am betting your fuel passages are cracked

Clean, deck, and pressure test the heads is an absolute must. I'd be more worried about your overheating. Did you ever hear the fan come on? You'd know it if it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
\

THIS thats what i was trying to get at :rofl: :woot:

Got it. That's the best delta of which I've read. That's why I asked.

I think one would be fine for a DD. Again, it just depends upon use and expectation.
i know i quoted more posts than that but...
BPD is just going to be a better product have better service and last longer than anything from the other company which shall remain nameless :nod:
the only other thing i have not seen mentioned is you might want to look into new pushrods
and maybe new tunes when you get her back.
i dont really know anything about the tune you have but there are a lot of good tune writers out there

#27 ·
#28 ·
I'm not a pro. ...but - other than the parts that you would obviously replace for your upgrade - I would be taking a serious look at the plastic components in the oil filter housing. They don't like temps like those that you experienced. Any visible warping or discoloration would mean bye-bye for me.

Reactions: Rattlesnake18
#30 ·
I'm kind of curious why the engine did not defuel at 254 oil temp. I also wonder if those temps maxed out there because the 5v reference goes no higher.

#32 ·
What is the Bazooka tune? I personally have not heard of it and I'm curious.

#36 ·
I'll be the sinister supporter here. I have the sinister oil cooler. The delta has been rock solid at 10 degrees. I'm happy with that. The oem is less than that but 10 degrees is within the oem tolerance of 15 degrees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#38 ·
I'll be the sinister supporter here. I have the sinister oil cooler. The delta has been rock solid at 10 degrees. I'm happy with that. The oem is less than that but 10 degrees is within the oem tolerance of 15 degrees.
Are you sure that it is the Sinister Brand cooler and not an OEM that Sinister sold you?

Regardless, a lot of factors come into play. Most notably, how much you haul. One of the other guys here - @323flint - had one, but did not share your love of it.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/903681-sinister-oil-cooler.html

That said, you have the right attitude. If the EOTs fit your needs and don't exceed oil/truck specs, well... I don't think that I'd want to bury one in a valley, though, due to the inherent commitment. It wouldn't be as big a deal to hook one up to a relocation, though.

#41 ·
Got it. That's the best delta of which I've read. That's why I asked.

I think one would be fine for a DD. Again, it just depends upon use and expectation.

Reactions: pphelps
#43 ·
I have a few used OEM fan clutches laying around if you need a replacement one. 50$ plus shipping.

But if yours is toast I would just upgrade it to a 7.3 manual fan with adapter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.