6.0 Injector Diagnostics w/o codes? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 06:55 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Injector Diagnostics w/o codes?

Ok so here is my story I am having an injector or so I believe thats bad. Rough starting in the morning, puffing some white smoke and idling really rough for about 10-15 seconds. This may actually be a glow plug, but the problems follow me out to the road. If I dont let the truck warm up for at least 5 mins, the first 1/4 mile its missing and bucking then finally smooths out and runs fine at low power settings. When the truck is fully warmed up on the highway it will drive for the most part ok, but if I put too much fuel into it and the TC is still locked, it will buck on me. If I really put my foot to the floor, the TC will unlock and shift down a gear as supposed to, but it will run all broken up missing slightly.

So how do I test my injectors? There is no codes displayed. I have a SCT can I run a buzz test? But thats only going to tell me which one is bad electrically. How do I test them mechanically? How do I pin point what injector is my issue so I am not dropping 8 new sticks in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2009, 07:21 AM
I wanna go fast!!!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yep sounds like a bad injector or two. Ford can check them and tell you which ones are bad. You can run a buzz test to check also but i dont know how to do that. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:17 AM

See the attached TBI it should be very helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TBI 6.0 INJECTOR.pdf (405.3 KB, 10105 views)
Old 12-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

SCT wont do a buzz test. You need some better software to test injectors
Old 12-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same issues with my o3 6.0 sticky inj .i put in 5w40 w syn rotella fixed the rough start problem immediately ,i have some (HOT SHOT SECRET) on order, will be here on fri i will let you no if it fixes the rest of my inj prob.look up the hot shot web site ,its worth looking into before you buy new inj.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:28 PM

I would have to ask how cold it was? What oil weight? ccocita made a good point. Mine was doing the same thing with 15-40w. I drove it for about 400 miles and couldn't stand it. Put 5w40 syn in it and cleaned it up. I would try that first and getting it scanned if it doesn't help. Could pull the glow plugs and see if any are wet. If there is then there is your bad injector.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had the EXACT same symptoms. Turned out that my FICM was only putting out 41v instead of 48v. Replaced that and still had problems. Had to take it into the dealer to test the injectors both mechanically and electrically. I ended up have 5 bad injectors and replaced all 8.

As mentioned, there's no way to buzz test the injectors with the SCT. And FWIW, I didn't throw a single code the entire time.

--Snake
Old 12-11-2009, 04:55 AM

A cylinder contribution test is a good indicator when injectors are suspect.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:01 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
I just got done dealing with this on mine. I had a shop scan it and it had a "#6 cylinder contribution fail" code. That was diagnosed as the injector. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE when you get the new injector...whether you put it in or not, make sure you use the 2 required special tools and ensure the "o" rings are good and all there on ur injector. Why? Because the shop that put mine in didn't do that and hydrolocked my motor...I was REALLLL lucky that it didn't do much damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccocita View Post
I have the same issues with my o3 6.0 sticky inj .i put in 5w40 w syn rotella fixed the rough start problem immediately ,i have some (HOT SHOT SECRET) on order, will be here on fri i will let you no if it fixes the rest of my inj prob.look up the hot shot web site ,its worth looking into before you buy new inj.
This is only a temp fix...I did it for about 6 months. Better to just change the bad injector.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerhouse9228 View Post
I would have to ask how cold it was? What oil weight? ccocita made a good point. Mine was doing the same thing with 15-40w. I drove it for about 400 miles and couldn't stand it. Put 5w40 syn in it and cleaned it up. I would try that first and getting it scanned if it doesn't help. Could pull the glow plugs and see if any are wet. If there is then there is your bad injector.
That is just a bandaid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkpatter View Post
A cylinder contribution test is a good indicator when injectors are suspect.
Thanks for the pdf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.