dealer says headgasket or egr valve???? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2006, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
dealer says headgasket or egr valve????

my 2005 f-250 stroker is blowing coolant from the resiveror under the hood, it has only 10,500 miles on it. the dealer says they have to have a special pressure gauge to check the pressures on the coolant system to see if it is the head gasket or the egr valve. the coolant in the resiveror looks sorta like it has mildew built up in the container. do anyone know anything about this prob? i have another service appt. tommorrow, and i'll post another message after the service appt. feel free to e-mail me /w/ info. thanx , jason!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2006, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
my 2005 f-250 stroker is blowing coolant from the resiveror under the hood, it has only 10,500 miles on it. the dealer says they have to have a special pressure gauge to check the pressures on the coolant system to see if it is the head gasket or the egr valve. the coolant in the resiveror looks sorta like it has mildew built up in the container. do anyone know anything about this prob? i have another service appt. tommorrow, and i'll post another message after the service appt. feel free to e-mail me /w/ info. thanx , jason!
its not the egr valve they suspect, its either the egr COOLER or the head gaskets. they need to tap into the cooling system in a slightly different way than a normal pressure test, then they will raise the rear of your truck in the air with a jack....and then pressurize the system. they will take the EGR valve out and see if any coolant comes to where you can see with the valve removed....this is the long and the short of it...but if the cooler is leaking, they will replace that....if its not......you will have a set of head gaskets put in............Marc
Old 03-14-2006, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

is there any need for me to push for a new engine or should i just let them fix the gaskets?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason
is there any need for me to push for a new engine or should i just let them fix the gaskets?
u can push all you want...but the dealer is bound. there is no way ford will allow them to put an engine in it. its not thier call. ford makes them do a "cost cap" for the job and if it doesnt go over then they wont allow it to be done. if both heads need replacement....it will still come under the cost cap for a long block.....so they would just replace the heads (if they were warrped)....a lot of what the dealer gets blamed for is not their fault. also.....that motor really doesnt need to be replaced. but either way......its gonna get fixed fords way no matter what...so its a mute point..........Marc
Old 03-15-2006, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

EGR COOLANT twice with mine

sounds like the egr coolant i had mine done twice and mine is in the shop again and there trying to say its the head gaskets again. I always loved ford but my faith has diminished....as far as replacing the engine they wont and if you call ford to complain they are goign to tell you no you have warrenty and they will fight you to buy it back unless it is under your states lemon law so learn that right away and if you have any problems get it in to your dealer...Good Luck....i know what your going through cause my battle has just begun...
Old 03-25-2006, 02:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to KD73
Question Egr Coolant Line

I Recently Posted Asking The Question If Anyone Knew Why My Truck Was Blowing Coolant Out The Reservoir In A Different Thread. I Had My Truck In The Shop About 3 Weeks Ago Because Of A Coolant Leak I Noticed One Morning Coming From The Back Of The Engine. Looked Like It Was Coming From The Heads On Both Sides. I Called The Dealership And They Said It Was Probably Not The Head Gaskets. To Make A Long Story Short, They Replaced The Egr And The Coolant Line. It Fixed The Leak, But Now My Truck Runs Real Rough In The Mornings, Never Did It Before. I Wonder If I Do Have A Head Gasket Problem?????
Old 03-25-2006, 05:51 AM
Banned

that coolant leak off the back of the motor was a common leak point.....if you look right below where the turbo outlet is.......ther is an orange tube (yours will be blue now that it has the updated one)......and as far as the rough running in the morning......its injector(s).....get it to them.....leave it overnight so they can do a powerbalance cold........and make sure your good about your fuel filter maintanence as this can cause injector failures....amonst a ton of other things.........Marc
Old 03-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to KD73
I Have Changed The Fuel Filters Twice Since I Have Had The Truck. I Bought It With 31,000 Miles On It, I Now Have A Little Over 53,000 Miles. I Will Call The Dealership And See If They Can Get It In. They Have Been Pretty Good With Me So Far, I Can't Complain Except That When They Had It The Last Time, A One Day Job They Told Me Ended Up Being 5. They Had To Order A Part, And I Had Them Change The Oil While They Had It, I Had Planned On Doing It That Weekend Anyway, They Cracked The Oil Filter Cap And Had To Order Another One Of Those As Well. They Always Kept Me Updated As To The Progress Of Their Work, And Were Apologetic Everytime With For Their Slow Progress.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just got my '04 6.0 diesel out of the shop (not a dealer but a super home mechanic) for losing about a quart of water a week...runs great after warming up for about 10 minutes. Said he found a small reseviour hose leak and fixed it. Wanted to change the EGR valve but was afraid he might force it and break it since it wasn't cooperating the way he wanted it to....I'm just hoping it's not head gaskets since it would have to go to the dealer for that and it's an e-bay purchase with no real history that I know of. It's got 198K miles. Any suggestions anyone?

Doug in NY

Last edited by ohbluto; 10-16-2007 at 01:37 AM. Reason: forgot to put vehicle make...F350 Super Duty
Old 10-16-2007, 05:30 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Head gaskets aren't the most likely scenario. When you have this kind of a problem, it's likely the degas bottle cap or the EGR cooler.

PS. Get the EGR valve pulled out and give her a good cleaning. It's likely due with that many miles...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.