Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

another cold start quest?

876 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SIRed 
#1 ·
The past couple of days we have been having 20 degree temps at night and into the morning. The last two days when I go out and start the truck it gives me problems. It takes a couple times before it starts, tries to start then dies and when it does it runs rough for a min or so rolling black smoke then smooths out and runs like normal. I think its just cause its so cold but what do you guys think? Didn't do this last winter. So just wondering.

#2 ·
The cold and machinery

While something else may be going on I would think the extreme cold haas most to do with it.

Metals contrac and depending on the metal some will contract a great deal.
This decreases the amount of clearance between metal components, resulting in greater friction forces brought to bear when you try to move them. This happens not only to the engine but the starter and all other moveing parts in the vechile/machine.

Add to this mix the fact of how diesel is combusted to begine with and the fact that cold reduces the amount of power a baattery can produce and you get a really hard /long start condition.

Sorry for not giveing a more detailed explanation But I ain't feeling so chipper this morning, the cold has me not wanting to start too good either.:doh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.