Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

P0299 Frustration

26K views 40 replies 9 participants last post by  PowerstrokePackman 
#1 ·
Truck is 2007 crew cab FX4 Lariat. 6.0 of course. All stock. 114000 miles. No problems up until a few months ago. I bought the truck with about 60000 miles on it in 2010. Pulled the egr valve at that time and it was caked up very nicely. Cleaned it off and have been driving it since. Around 4 months ago, it threw a CEL. Turned out being the glow plug harness on the passenger side. Mechanic replaced it. About a month later CEL again. This time it was the turbo underboost code listed in the title. I pulled the EGR again and it was almost as clean as it was after I cleaned it the first time.
I have a local Powerstroke mechanic who is highly recommended by other PS owners. Seems to know his stuff. He pulled the EGP sensor. Both it and the tube were caked up. He cleaned them. Same code. Replaced the EGP sensor. Same code. Cleaned the line and replaced the MAP sensor. Same code. Pulled the turbo and three vanes were stuck with the rest somewhat stiff. He cleaned the turbo. While in there, I had him do the EGR delete. The EGR valve is still in place and plugged in. CEL came on again after I drove it home.
Here is what happens. The code comes on at varying intervals. At times it will come on after a couple of starts. Other times it may go 8 to 10 times. The vast majority of times, the light comes on when I start the truck, idle to the end of the drive, and immediately when I touch the throttle. Tonight was something new. After deleting the trouble code, I was driving about 65 mph on flat road. Not accelerating, just cruising. Boost gauge showed under 10psi. CEL came on.
There are no issues with power or running. No hesitation. turbo spools up fine. The mechanic has said several times that this is one of the strongest running stock 6.0s that he has driven. I'm at my wits end here. I don't want to tie him up any more or sink any more into troubleshooting. The mechanic has been great about not charging for parts or labor that did not work. I insisted on paying him for parts he left in after replacing them. Anyone have this issue with this code? I'm at the point of taking my pistol and shooting the light itself.

See less See more
#4 ·
My P0299 code on my 05 was the Turbo Veins were coked up. Cleaned turbo and the code went away.

There's some good YouTube videos on P0299.

#5 ·
Carefully check the plug and wires on the turbo VGT solenoid, the plug get's brittle from heat & age.
Do you have a monitor on your truck? If so watch your VGT%, take it for a drive and report back. If it's hanging around 15% & 85% you turbo is still sticking. That's what mine was doing till one day it stuck fast and wouldn't move off 85% and had zero boost. Cleaned turbo and now just driving around my VGT%'s run around 40% to 60% average. Mine would throw the P0299 code but never threw a CEL, the wrench light came on once for overboost (P0234 I think).
Another thing, when you let off the gas on a hard acceleration does your turbo fart or bark at you? That's another indication of a sticky turbo.

Reactions: LoxDiesel
#7 ·
I'm going to check the items I can. I just bought a monitor, but have not opened it and may be returning it to get a tuner if the mechanic can't get rid of the CEL from the EGR delete. He did say to bring it back in Monday and he would find the P0299 problem if it killed him, and at his expense. No more labor charges. He said it is a matter of pride now.

Is it possible that he could have loosened something when the passenger side glow plug harness was replaced? Possibly an electrical connection of some sort? The P0299 didn't come on right after that, but if I remember correctly it was about a month after.

#8 ·
P0299 is an underboost code, so if there were a leak along the warm CAC pipe, Intercooler, or cold CAC pipe, may show that code. Also, I'd check the MAP hose as suggested above.

When cleaning the turbo, it's possible to put the unison ring in wrong. Also, I don't know if the Unison ring was excessively worn if it would give a P0299.

Here's a couple of videos:

#9 ·
Does he have ids? You can run a turbocharger test through it. That can put you on the track to finding which area is causing the fault

#13 ·
OK. I replaced the hose to the MAP sensor. I went for three days without throwing the P0299 code. It was a record. Today it reappeared. I am really getting aggravated with this thing. I used 1/4 inch fuel line as that is the only thing that was available. Is there a special type of hose that is supposed to be used? Part number on the hose on the truck is J30R7. Replacement hose is J30R6.

The original hose had no cracks on the outside, but had some severe cracking lengthwise on the inside of the line. I can see that being a problem as the cracks could run far enough up to cause a leak. So I thought I had found the issue. Now I am back to square one.

#15 ·
It changes when gears change. For example, WOT in 4th will be about 22 lbs, but when it shifts and rpm lowers it goes to about 28 lbs and tapers off slightly as the speed goes up.

#21 · (Edited)
I tried several WOT runs to get a variety. Overall it varied from about 22% to 68%. I'm guessing it changes with engine load and gear changes? The upper and lower ranges it showed was 15% to 85%, but rarely hit either of those.

I'm still trying to learn this SF3 too. Apparently I checked the wrong thing for EBP. It showed zero value. Not sure yet which to choose for MAF and MAP yet either. There are several options there.

#17 ·
@kaya Could the code be setting due to incompatible MAF and MAP readings? Does the 2007 even use MAF? Should he try to clean the MAF? EBP?
I think a datalog of MAF, MAP, VGT%, EBP, RPM, MPH and possibly a few other things might help diagnose.

OP, these are questions from someone trying to learn like you. Take what I say with a grain of salt.

Reactions: kaya
#19 ·
Don't recall exactly which year (s) switched to the iat2. Mine's an 07 tho and it has the maf.
I like to look at these things in a sequence. First, is the truck actually building adequate boost? According to the op's map readings and how it's running, yes. So in this case it's probably not a mechanical fault. The PCM will have tables that it uses to rationalize what it should see for boost compared to maf, ebp, and probably vgt duty cycle under a particular load calculation. If either are reading skewed the PCM may expect to see a higher boost reading. So you really need to know what normal looks like. Best way to do that is record and compare your readings with a similar truck under the same conditions. Map, vgt, ebp and maf. That's probably what I'd try and do.
Reason I'd asked what vgt duty cycle was is to see if the PCM was attempting to build more boost by opening the veins. We look at our map first, then look at vgt. Map is adequate, yet vgt is dropping to 15%, or close to it, then it's probably a biased ebp or maf reading.
It's a sequence. A structure to efficiently resolving an issue with many possible culprits

#18 ·
Do you have a scanner to get VGT%? You've got 2 Powerstroke techs on this thread helping you find this. I think what they are getting at with the VGT% is that untuned, the VGT approaching 15% or 85% with a P0299 code points to a turbo needing cleaned. I know your guy cleaned it already, but I wanted to talk write a couple of ways to clean it. If only three veins were sticking, that was less than mine. All of my veins were sticking.

There's a couple of spray products available where all you have to do is remove the air filter and spray the contents of the can into the intake hose of the turbo https://www.wynns.eu/product/turbo-cleaner/. When I cleaned my turbo I hadn't seen this product and now that I have, I haven't seen any posts of anyone using it, and I try not to be the first on my block to try this stuff.

For my turbo cleaning, I cleaned the black caked on coke off the turbo with a small 3M pad on a drill. I also took the unison ring and the veins and soaked them in carb cleaner to remove the coke. I coated the tops and bottoms of the veins with a light coat of anti-seize. Before assembling, I actually changed the unision ring because of slight wear in the ring. I never want to pull my turbo again in my life, so I changed the unison ring. For a garage that should be, my guess, three shop hours--One for turbo removal, one for taking the turbo apart and cleaning, and one for assembly. Took me much longer than 3 hours.

Only other thing I can recommend is if everything they mentioned above doesn't work, you can remove the air intake on the turbo and pressure check it through there which may show a leak somewhere. I have compressed air already, but to build the adapter myself would cost around $50 for the rubber piece, clamp, air adapter, and gauge.

My P0299 code would pop up randomly driving flat and level on the highway at 65 MPH with no symptoms like engine revving or boost changing.

#20 ·
I do appreciate all the advice. I will get to each item to check as time allows. Unfortunately, useless things like the job take up more time than not. I will post results as I get the time to check each one off. Again, thanks for all the advice. It is appreciated.

#22 ·
Yea I'd need to see a recording. With map, vgt, ebp, maf, rpm, app, transmission gear. Let's see some data

#23 · (Edited)
Once I figure out how to get those in the recording, what format would you like to be able to see the data?

And what is the APP?

I am assuming Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure is the MAP value I need. And possibly air flow #/min for the MAF? Or one of the other choices for MAF?

Sorry for all the questions. Just now learning.

#24 ·
Hey don't worry about it. Happy you ask.
App=accelerator pedal position
Yes, intake manifold pressure is map.
For maf, if you can configure it to read grams per second, that would be great.

As for the data, I suppose, for this issue, digital format will be fine, since I won't be able to scroll through personally.

#25 ·
It just keeps getting better. Ran a dayalog yesterday with the SCT SF3 with no problem. Tried several times to run one this morning with the parameters requested. All readings fail except trans gear and rpm.

#26 ·
Let's try something else. I was perusing through the ol 6.0 Bible last night and it appears that the p0299 code is determined by the pcms monitor of ebp.
Can you monitor ebp?

#27 ·
I will uninstall and reinstall the monitor software this afternoon to see if that makes a difference in what I can monitor. I don't think the SF3 has a built in parameter for the ebp.

#28 ·
I got a good run I think this afternoon. Here is a screen shot of one of the WOT runs. MAP bouncing and MAF drops to negative numbers? I will try to format the output to something that can be read besides the Livelink software from SCT, but here is this for now.

Attachments

#29 ·
Here are some screen shots of some of the readings. One is at idle. One is in the middle of a WOT run. One is at the end of a WOT run. I have a csv file these were derived from that opens in Excel, but guess it won't attach here.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.