Did Head gasket Now won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did Head gasket Now won't start

Ok guys did head gasket and apr studs . Everthing thing went good until I went to crank makes a weird noise when craking over then it will start but it takes a really long time . Bit runs good when it cranks any ideas .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Were you having any issues before the install?
Old 12-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

have you driven it yet? it takes a while to get all the air out
Old 12-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No issues before and no haven't driven it yet it. alomost acts like it is out of time
Old 12-03-2009, 08:56 PM

Well try and post a video if you can. When I did my head gaskets it took a lot of cranking to start and probably 100 miles till it was back to normal.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:06 PM

sounds normal, need to purge the air from the high pressure oil system. the reason it sounds though its out of time is due to dry holes and injectors that are not firing consistanly due to air in the hpop system. I let them idle for a while, usually clears up pretty fast, the ford master diesel techs will be here shortly to correct me, stay tuned, lol
Old 12-05-2009, 03:35 AM
Powerstroke Techie

In my experience, it usually takes 3 attempts at cranking for about 15 seconds. Once its started it may idle a little rough and that is due to air in the oil rails since it was all apart. It may also sound weird during cranking if the lifters were able to bleed down, not sure why this happens but i've had it once or twice. After cranking it, it should idle rough for maybe 8 seconds or so but then should smooth out. You may notice more smoke out of the exhaust during that time just due to coolant or anything residual that was in the intake, EGR cooler, or the cylinders themselves. Once it seems to be idling okay, check your fluids then go give it hell.

TSB
05-19-14

FORD: 2003-2005 Excursion
2003-2006 F-Super Duty
2004-2006 E-Series, F-650, F-750

ISSUE:
Some 2003-2006 model year vehicles equipped with a 6.0L diesel engine may exhibit a crank time longer than 2.5 seconds in ambient temperatures above 32 F (0 C) and/or during hot restarts, or may exhibit a runs rough condition with no diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). These conditions may be noticed at factory delivery or after a repair involving removal of high-pressure oil system components. This may be caused by air trapped in the high-pressure oil system.

ACTION:
To purge the air, drive the vehicle through at least 12 short, high-demand cycles, or until crank-time has improved (Example: 12 aggressive accelerations 25 MPH to 50 MPH (32 Km/h to 80 Km/h)). Turn off the engine for 5 minutes following the drive cycle, then restart the engine. If crank time remains above 2.5 seconds, perform normal hard start diagnostics per the PC/ED manual.

NOTE: A THREE TO FIVE (3-5) SECOND CRANK TIME MAY BE CONSIDERED NORMAL IN COLDER TEMPERATURES.

NOTE: IF THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT FOLLOWED, IT MAY TAKE MORE THAN 100 MILES OF NORMAL DRIVING TO REMOVE ALL OF THE TRAPPED AIR.

Last edited by DieselDano; 12-05-2009 at 03:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.