Turbo failure - HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo failure - HELP!

Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. Forgive the long message, but I want to be detailed. Thanks in advance for your help. I have a bone-stock 2005 F250 6.0. With 99,960 miles (6 weeks ago) I took my truck to the dealer for 2 last minute warranty repairs. 1) Fuel smell in cab - they replaced a gasket at the fuel filter housing. Problem went away. 2) White smoke exiting tailpipe - unfortunately they ommitted this problem on the paperwork (which I signed) so the problem was not addressed. I took the truck back in 2 weeks later with 101,400 miles on the odo. The damage: Bad EGR cooler, EGR valve, oil cooler - $2800.00. I was furious! I talked to Ford (the manufacturer) and no help. I was able to negotiate with the dealer down to $1600.00. I got my truck back and immediately noticed my turbo lacked power. It was still spooling up but was making a noise I haven't heard before and I didn't have that "throw-ya-back-in-the-seat" feel anymore. I did not have this problem before I took it in. The dealer let me talk with their diesel mechanic and he told me that the bearings in my turbo are failing and I would have to replace the turbo. I told him that even if the turbo had been failing for the last few thousand miles, that would not explain the distinct difference between the way it was acting before I took it in and after I got it back - almost literally overnight. The mechanic says it is strictly coincidence, that the problems he fixed before (EGR, etc.) have nothing to do with the turbo failure because the part of the turbo that is failing is actually sealed. He seemed knowledgeable but I can't help but to feel my truck has been sabotaged. My truck is still at the dealer awaiting a quote for the work to be done. Given my situation and dissatisfaction with the dealer, I DO NOT want them touching my truck again! So, a couple of ?'s for you guys: 1)Do you think it is coincidence or is there something the mechanic could have done "accidentally" to make a bad problem worse? 2)As my truck is no longer under warranty, should I take advantage of the opportunity to go aftermarket with my next turbo (limited budget)? My plan had always been to put performance parts on it, but with 102,000 miles on it I hate to sink the money into it just in time for the next thing to go wrong. 3)Are there other issues I should address along with the turbo replacement? I wish I would've taken the opportunity to put an EGR delete on the last "fix", but I thought they would cover everything under warranty. Instead, they put the same d**n square EGR cooler back on it. Again, sorry for the lengthy description, but any help will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Okay quick question does your truck roll black smoke of of the tail pipe at anygiven speed ? what could have happened was since the EGR cooler and EGR valve failed which allowed your coolent to get superheated and turned into steam vapors which would have picked up soot from the intake manifold causing the carbon build in the vains of your VGT. i would suggest having your turbo vains cleaned.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
He pulled your turbo out to replace your EGR cooler and now you are having problems and you are expected to believe it was sheer coincidence. Not likely. Check for loosened clamps, holes in your intercooler boots or possibly a leaking up-pipe.

PS. These turbos use oil as a pseudo-bearing, they don't use actual bearings at all...
Old 12-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, guys, for your quick response. My truck only rolls black smoke when it's getting close to oil change time. I did ask the mechanic if cleaning the turbo was an option to prolong the life of it. He said it wouldn't hurt but the real problem was the bearings (and maybe seals too, I can't remember). Interesting that the turbo doesn't have bearings in it, Evil Eye. I talked to the dealer just minutes ago and he said I needed a turbo, VGT (actuator), and he said a new y-pipe would be a "good idea". The part #'s are 5C3Z9G489AARM, 5C3Z6F089, and 5C3Z6K854CA respectively. The total cost is $1800 (they agreed to do the labor for free). That may sound like a pretty good deal, but I'm broke from the last repair. I'll look the part #'s up in just a minute. I think it's worth taking the truck to another dealer/servicie center. I think they screwed up and won't own up to it. I'll check the clamps, boots, and up-pipe. If you've got any additional advice, I'd love to hear it. Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connorstroke View Post
Thanks, guys, for your quick response. My truck only rolls black smoke when it's getting close to oil change time. I did ask the mechanic if cleaning the turbo was an option to prolong the life of it. He said it wouldn't hurt but the real problem was the bearings (and maybe seals too, I can't remember). Interesting that the turbo doesn't have bearings in it, Evil Eye. I talked to the dealer just minutes ago and he said I needed a turbo, VGT (actuator), and he said a new y-pipe would be a "good idea". The part #'s are 5C3Z9G489AARM, 5C3Z6F089, and 5C3Z6K854CA respectively. The total cost is $1800 (they agreed to do the labor for free). That may sound like a pretty good deal, but I'm broke from the last repair. I'll look the part #'s up in just a minute. I think it's worth taking the truck to another dealer/servicie center. I think they screwed up and won't own up to it. I'll check the clamps, boots, and up-pipe. If you've got any additional advice, I'd love to hear it. Thanks again for the help.

The tech is correct, it is pure coincidence. lol
Old 12-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connorstroke View Post
If it is your turbo, you could get a new y-pipe (up-pipe) for about $150 and a used VGT turbo for about $500 w/shipping from some of the members around here and do it yourself. The biggest pain is lining up all the pipes, clamps, and oil lines...
Old 12-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks again EE.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

[QUOTE=Connorstroke;1553824]Hey guys. I'm new to the forum. Forgive the long message, but I want to be detailed. Thanks in advance for your help. I have a bone-stock 2005 F250 6.0. With 99,960 miles (6 weeks ago) I took my truck to the dealer for 2 last minute warranty repairs. 1) Fuel smell in cab - they replaced a gasket at the fuel filter housing. Problem went away. 2) White smoke exiting tailpipe - unfortunately they ommitted this problem on the paperwork (which I signed) so the problem was not addressed. I took the truck back in 2 weeks later with 101,400 miles on the odo. The damage: Bad EGR cooler, EGR valve, oil cooler - $2800.00. I was furious! I talked to Ford (the manufacturer) and no help. I was able to negotiate with the dealer down to $1600.00. I got my truc.......

I have a the same exact truck and problem. My turbo went out and now my warranty does not want to cover because it went over 77 miles. Well 2 weeks prior it was at the dealership for EGR replacement and blown gaskets, which were replace but the consiquences of that was that the oil, water and radiator had all mixed together due to that problem and when i checked my oil before i took it to get those replace it looked like sludge and gray well by that time it had already gone thru the turbo (which one of the leading cause of of turbo going out on 6.0 is failure to change oil at correct time or 200 engine hours) well after a whole week of fighting with the warranty trying to prove that it was a prior problem of EGR and gaskets that cause the turbo to go out becuase of the bad oil that had gone thru the turbo already so it was a matter of time the turbo was going to fail, they are finally going to pay. Well.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Slacker

Glad to hear about it. Keep us posted.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

On my 05, the egr cooler and headgaskets started leaking at 35k mi.

From the time I had it diagnosed and set up an appt. to the time the truck went in to be repaired (about 1-1/2 weeks), my turbo began sticking very bad so they replaced my turbo and agreed that the turbo went bad because of the egr cooler and HG's. Not coincidence!

I'm checking my engine over very close right now because my warranty expires this month!

Last edited by GregsSD; 05-04-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.